Windows 10 Windows Login Woes

Orange71

I have set my Windows Login to my Microsoft ID and require my Microsoft password to login at the Welcome screen. However, if I mistype my password Windows creates a temporary profile and continues to load the desktop with this instead of prompting me to re-try my Microsoft ID password. I do not want this behavior at all. How do I force Windows not to create a temporary profile and force a re-prompt for a mis-typed Microsoft password?

Hi orange and welcome to the forum :up:

This is an indicator that you did something wrong with your W10 install. Did your computer come with W10 pre-loaded from the factory or did you upgrade the computer from an earlier version of Windows? If so, which version of Windows? Also, it would be helpful to know the Make/Model of the computer giving you this problem. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM PC (Dell, HP, Acer, Gateway, Toshiba, etc.)? Or is it a self-built rig or a custom-rig?

This information would help us to determine how to best help you.

Generally, speaking, prior to having you start any troubleshooting procedures, ensure first that any personal data such as documents, photos, music, movies, E-mail, etc. is backed up to external media.

Once you have all your stuff backed up from that computer, you should then reinstall your W10 from factory Recovery Media (DVD or USB). Unless you upgraded your computer from much older hardware (built prior to 2009) to W10, you can do this directly. Otherwise you'll need to run hardware diagnostics to test your RAM memory sticks and Hard Drive. After we know the answers to the questions I asked above, if needed post back here and we'll provide you links to the Hardware diagnostics.

So, you know, when you type in the wrong password in W10 while attempting to login into a Microsoft account this is the error message you should be receiving:

"That password is incorrect. Make sure you're using the password for your Microsoft account. You can always reset it at account.live.com/password/reset."

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

It should not login you into anything if you entered an invalid password. It will log you in to a temp profile if you logged in correctly and there was an issue with the user profile service could not load your profile. The most common reason is your AV scanner has the NTUSER.DAT file locked. I would try disabling your AV, reboot and see if it logs in fine. The other option is the profilelist registry key might be messed up and you can try to fix these, but I would try the AV first.

I've actually seen this particular problem before, and it's usually due to a corrupted windows hive file or files. There's usually no repairing this, but if anybody could repair it, neemo, it would be you! I still recommend the in-place upgrade or a rebuild from factory Recovery Media.

BBJ

It's possible the hive could be corrupt, even if it is you can log into a second admin account and rename the user hive file and copy the one from the Default profile and that should work too.

Yes, this is a good solution and I've seen this work!:up: Try neemo's suggestion of disabling your AV, and if that doesn't work suggestion in Post #5 of creating a 2nd admin account and copying the hive files would be next. If that doesn't work, you'll be looking at backing up all your data as recommended in my Post #2 and proceeding with hardware testing (RAM, and Hard Drive), and then subsequent Windows reset and reinstallation from factory Recovery Media as suggested.

**CAUTION!!**: Anytime you are monkeying around with the Hive files and Registry editing or manipulation, you are performing advanced tasks in Windows. These procedures involve High Risk, so again, make certain that your personal data is backed up properly to at least 2 different places onto external media (for example, DVD discs and an online Cloud account such as Microsoft OneDrive, or GoogleDrive).

If you decide to attempt neemo's repair you'll need to look at these 2 links:
1.) Where are the Windows registry files located in Windows 10/8/7
2.) Regbak lets you backup and restore the Windows Registry easily

The first link shows you where the Hive files are in Win10, and the 2nd link shows you how to backup the Hive files and also to Restore them to the 2nd admin user account neemo wants you to create. I have done this successfully on Win2k, XP, and Vista machines. I have not tried this on a W10 machine, but the process is very similar and worth a try. Otherwise, you are looking at testing your hardware for failed components and a W10 reset from factory Recovery Media IMO.

Hope this info helps you,
<<<BBJ>>> :brew:

Back