Windows 10 Windows Mail Problems?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm not able to receive mail using the mail app in Windows 10.
I can send, but messages sent to my Gmail account, (my Windows account) don't show up in Windows Mail.

When I open Thunderbird they are all there.

I thought that it may be deleting the mail because it gets sent to Thunderbird and then is remove from the server.

I looked at my settings in Thunderbird, and contrary to my Comcast account there is no options to select Leave Mail on Server, and option that is available for my Comcast account.

But to test this I closed Thunderbird, and then sent a message to my Gmail account from my Comcast account using the online mail option with Thunderbird closed.

Then I opened the Mail app, and no messages were there.
When I opened Thunderbird I got the "A new message has arrived", the massage appeared.

I'd like to be able to retrieve my mail through both of my mail apps.

I'm not sure where I should go to look for setting that would allow me to set it this way.

Anyone have any ideas.

The mail account it working in mail because I can send from it?

Mike

Ps, Looked at my Gmail account online, and there are a dozen messages in it, but none show up in the mail app.

One of the problems with the Windows app is that they are so basic that you can't access any settings or options.

Last edited:
Maybe in the next build release MS might fix that....but until the final release most of those apps don't work correctly anyway as they eluded to in that 3 hour live feed about windows 10. That and the fact that they said it's still a work in progress and some features may be released in feature build releases and others wont.

For those reasons, I choose not to use any of those apps...just saves me from a bunch of headaches.

I just tested all my email accounts within the Windows 10 Mail App.
Comcast
Gmail
Outlook
Hotmail.
Send and receive / reply
Absolutely no problems at all.
Do you have your mail accounts configured properly within the account settings.
MailApp3.png

Hi

There aren't a lot of options within Account Settings but as far as I can see everything is correct.
There are no server settings etc. as there are in Thunderbird.

It will send from my Gmail account, but the messages never show up there.

Email%20Settings_zpsdauhrxwr.jpg

The only reason that I'm doing this is, because I'm guessing that Cortana will need to use the mail app to handle email, and I may be wrong about that.

Thunderbird works fine for all of my accounts.

This one is my official Microsoft account that I use to sign in on.

Mike

That is not the account you shoud be concerned with as I suspect it is set up and working properly.
You Comcast Mail and your Gmail Mail, should both have server settings that need to be configured properly from within each of the individual account settings.

When you have the mail app open, the bars at the top left, click that then click settings, then click accounts....what do you show for email accounts and how many? I just have the one that is my MS account that is used to sign in with. The mail app did that all on it's own.

I just added my Gmail account...simply by clicking on accounts, adding account and selecting other, which gave me the option to pick IMAP or something else. I pick IMAP and put in my email address/password for my gmail account and bingo...there's my emails from gmail.

Now to my surprise, I'm not able to add my Centurylink email to my Mail app for windows 10...why you ask...this is why?

Since the Windows 8 email client does not support 3rd party POP3 email accounts like Centurylink offers, here are 2 ways to view your email:

• 1. CenturyLink Webmail is the quickest most reliable way to access your email from any device with internet access.
  • 2*. Microsoft does offer 'Windows Live Mail', an email client that supports 3rd party POP3 email like CenturyLink. 'Windows Live Mail' is one of several software downloads offered by Microsoft's free software suite, Windows Essentials.
    Learn how to configure 'Windows Live Mail'.

Hi

My Gmail account has always been IMAP, but my Comcast account was POP.

The Gmail account worked OK in Windows 8 mail, but the Comcast one doesn't work even after I configured it as IMAP in the mail app.

Both accounts work fine in Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

I just checked again and Gmail is shown as IMAP there are messages on the server but they only show up in Thunderbird not the Mail app.

When I delete them from my inbox they disappear from the server as well.

Don't see any reason that it shouldn't work in the mail app, it will send messages and it's my Microsoft account email.

I just tried again to send from my Gmail in the Mail app, sent a message with an image attached and it went to my Comcast Account no problems.

But it doesn't show any mail received.

Mike

Last edited:
Have you configured it (your gmail account) in the gmail web-based page to work with Outlook and POP3?

Hi

I didn't do that because I knew that the mail app doesn't work with POP3.
But I can give it a try, nothing else seems to work.

I'd like to suggest that this is where Microsoft falls down.
I can open any of my email accounts in any other mail client I've tried but when I get to the Microsoft app I have problems.

It's been like this since Windows 8 came out and that was on my previous computer setup.

There's no reason that it should be harder to get it to work then it is in Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail, which works fine.

I get it that they wanted the apps to be simple but I think they've over done it a bit.

On a positive note, I've found that the new Internet Explorer will open my Comcast Home Page and other pages that I haven't been able to open for the last several years on 2 different computers in IE.

So they are making progress.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

I won't let my have it configured for both POP3 and IMAP at the same time.
Says that I have to create a new account if I want to use POP3.

I don't want to mess up this account because it's the one I log into Microsoft with.

I'm going to stop fighting it for now, maybe after a few more updates it will start working.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

It may be worth considering, if you have linked a third party email account with your Microsoft ID, you might want to go with a standard righteous Microsoft ID @outlook.com and perhaps unlink the two at some point and just keep your Gmail / Comcast / Whatever, separate in the future.
It might keep things simpler and make it a bit easier to troubleshoot if things don't appear to be working correctly.

This may be irrelevant, but to make mine work I did have to change what ports I was using.

Hi

Last post first, I did try and change the ports to the what was suggested for Windows Live Mail, but that didn't help.
There isn't any info for Windows 10 mail app yet.

I'll try creating an @outlook account and see what happens.

My Comcast account was always my Microsoft account until a few day ago, when I changed it to my Gmail account because it was IMAP.

Mike

Hi

I created an outlook.com mail account.
It showed up in the Mail app, instantly all on it's own without my having to add it or anything.

It no longer shows my Gmail account, as an option, only the Outlook account.

But it works, I've sent and received from it including attachments.

Mike

Last edited:
It showed up in the Mail app, instantly all on it's own without my having to add it or anything.
Well that's some progress I suppose.
You should be able to add back your Gmail account (assuming that you have unlinked it from your Microsoft Account) and configure the server as indicated in the image I attached above, although I think it will just automatically work once you add the correct user name and password for that Gmail account.
Making sure in advance that your Gmail settings are configured properly as in attached image.
GmailSettings.PNG

Hi Randy

Those are the settings I have for my Gmail account.

I'm going to leave things alone for a few days and then I'll look at switching my new, @outlook account to be my Microsoft account, that will free up the Gmail account.

I don't really need my Gmail account in the mail app to do what I want to do I guess.

I only started doing all this because I figured that to get Cortana to do the email thing, I'd need a Mail app account that works.
Now she has switched from telling me that she can't find an email account to saying "Check back after future updates".

It must be about time for the new version or W10TP.
Maybe it will work after that.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Last edited:
Back