Windows 7 Windows Media Player Ripping Options Bug??

windyweather

Windows 7 x64 latest updates applied.
WMP 12 now cannot rip CDs. :mad:
It was set up and worked fine, but the disk that the path pointed to has been removed from system. Now ripping does not work, and I cannot reset the path. THe options dialog just ignores the click on (CHANGE...) button for path. Clearly a bug. :(

I have tried to uninstall WMP and reinstall it - using optionalfeatures.exe [or the control panel feature to show windows components] but that does not fix the problem. WMP 12 is back, but still does not work.

Anybody know the registry entry to clobber to fix the path so I can set it? :angry_smile:

Thanks,
WW

I will look for a registry entry, or you can search for your current one.

In Media Player, on the Devices tab, do you show a CD/DVD device?

On the Rip Music tab, your change button does not have a blue border, or does nothing when you click it? Have you tried adjusting the Quality to see if anything changes.

You might try right clicking the Media Player icon on the taskbar, then right click the Media Player option and select "Run as Admin", maybe it would give you more power.

Nope, no joy here

I will look for a registry entry, or you can search for your current one.

In Media Player, on the Devices tab, do you show a CD/DVD device?

On the Rip Music tab, your change button does not have a blue border, or does nothing when you click it? Have you tried adjusting the Quality to see if anything changes.

You might try right clicking the Media Player icon on the taskbar, then right click the Media Player option and select "Run as Admin", maybe it would give you more power.

(1) I don't see a Devices Tab. Yes there is a CD/DVD drive. It shows up in a pull down list at the top of the program under the menu. This is WMP 12.

(2) The change button does have a blue border and does nothing when I click it.
Changing the quality or other options works, but does not allow to change the path.

(3) Running the WMP as administrator does not change the problem. Still no joy from the (CHANGE...) button.

- wp

Fixed it... Sigh...

Ok. Here's a reasonable fix...

(1) Get a USB disk. I used a MAXStore usb drive in a portable enclosure.
(2) Plug the disk in. It may or may not show up. Mine didn't because it had been used on a linux system before. And in spite of the fact that I had created a FAT partition on it, windows wouldn't mount it.
(3) If it does not mount automatically. Create a file system. Mine did not have a file system on it. In this case: Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management>> Make sure you have the correct disk [be very careful here] and delete any partitions, and recreate a partition. Use NTFS probably. CAREFUL You will trash all the data on the drive doing this.
(4) Using Disk Management. Now assign the same drive letter that the previous disk had when it was on your system. I didn't , but you may have to shuffle other devices around. Hopefully that is not too big a problem.
(5) Create the folder that existed before. You won't get help from WMP since it doesn't tell you where your library was.
(6) Run WMP. Notice now that you can reset the folder to anywhere. Set it to one of the other drives on your system.
(7) Go back to Disk Management and remove the drive letter from your system.
(8) Remove the USB drive from the system and reboot.

Whew... Now you can rip again on this system that you broke by removing a drive.

- wp :cool:

Last edited:
Back