Windows 7 Windows networking fixed!!(w7 to xp)

That's weird. I've never had a router complain about the operating system.
If it really has that problem then I would think u will find a F/W update on the Belkin site.
was the w7 system wired or WLess. u should always set up a router with a wired connection.

I used a wired connection to set up the router. The message I received said that the router was compatible with only 2k, Xp, or Vista. But that was only for the setup. Once I set up the router with an XP laptop, I am able to connect with the router wirelessly (and probably wired if I tried) with the W7.

the router was build before W7. why would u expect them to list W7?
If it is Vista compatible, there is a 99% probability that it is W7 compatible.
Most all Vista drivers are W7 compatible, a few have been tweaked for W7 but most remain the same.

That's weird. I've never had a router complain about the operating system.
If it really has that problem then I would think u will find a F/W update on the Belkin site.
was the w7 system wired or WLess. u should always set up a router with a wired connection.

Yes, it's weird but...

There is definitely a problem that rebooting a router will fix when Win 7 won't connect. I've had to do it a couple times and I didn't do anything to windows. If you google Window 7 router fix .. or problems or reboot.. you'll be reading for weeks.

Well, I what I found point to the W7 drivers, which would make sense, not a router being incompatible with W7.
If it were the router's fault it would occur with most all OSs. Router protocol is pretty well defined.
MOST people don't have a problem with their router, therefore driver issues makes even more sense.

Well, I what I found point to the W7 drivers, which would make sense, not a router being incompatible with W7.
If it were the router's fault it would occur with most all OSs. Router protocol is pretty well defined.
MOST people don't have a problem with their router, therefore driver issues makes even more sense.

yep .. it doesn't make sense... but I had to reboot my router today. I read somewhere that Lynksys has new firmware that fixes it. There are new features in Win 7 that make network connections faster... I would guess that those features confuse routers sometimes and cause them to lock up. The funny thing is that I can see MY connection locked up .. solid green... no blinking.. but my son is playing games online and his connection is seteadily blinking. It doesn't make sense that only a single channel on a router would lock up .. and not the whole thing. It usually happens after rebooting also.

Kan ikke få adgang til den ene haddisk

Jeg har fulgt instruktionerne i denne tråd, og jeg fik etableret forbindelse mellem en Windows 7 maskine og en XP maskine. Fra Windows 7 har jeg adgang til alt på XP-maskinen. Det kører perfekt.
MEN - jeg har to harddiske installeret i min Windows 7 maskine. Og kun XP-adgang til den ene. Den disk, jeg ikke har adgang til, er partitioneret i to dele. Jeg har ikke adgang til nogen af dem. Det er imidlertid også den disk, jeg har styresystemet installeret på, og jeg har en svag fornemmelse af, at det er der, problemet ligger. Jeg har ikke adgang til nogen af de to partitioner.

Gode råd modtages med tak!

it sounds like what u are saying is that u have an OS installed on both HDDs.
I would guess that if the booted OS is not on the HDD u are trying to access then it won't allow access to the files. Try booting off the other HDD and see if u can get access to it.

Cannot gain access to one haddisk I have followed the instructions in this thread, and I got established connection between a Windows 7 machine and a XP machine. From the Windows 7 I have access to everything on your XP machine. It runs perfect.
But-I have two hard disks installed in my Windows 7 machine. And only XP-access to one. The disk, I do not have access to is partitioned into two parts. I don't have access to any of them. However, it is also the disk I have an operating system installed on, and I have a vague feeling that this is where the problem lies. I don't have access to any of the two partitions.
Advice received with thank you!

That's the best I could do with a software translation. So if it's not accurate please advise.
If I understand correctly, you are dual booting->to another hard drive->with a different operating system installed there. Is this correct? And the problem is that you don't have access to that hard drive and or its' partitions when you are booted into the Windows 7 operating system, from a second XP machine. Is that correct?
Can you see the drive and access it from the Windows 7 machine? If so determine the drive and or partition letters, then from the XP machine click start, run \\windows7machineName\E$ or \\ipaddressOfwindows7machine\E$ (E being one of the partition drive letters that you identified earlier adjust it according to the actual drive letters on the machine) the "$" designation is for the default administrative share, you should be prompted for a user name and password, see if that works. Let us know if you are getting some type of error, like access denied or whatever. What operating system is actually installed on the second drive / partition? Do you have a common username and password across all machines / operating systems? Do you actually have anything shared, if so, to whom and what are their access level permissions (share permissions as well as ntfs permissions if applicable)?

Hi,

For those of you that have a Cisco Router (i.e. Linksys),they have software called Network Magic, which has a 7 day free trial (Link Removed - Invalid URL). I used it when I was having problems connecting my
XP machine to Win7 and sharing printers etc. It set everything up for me and after 7 days, I just went with the lite version (i.e. free). It also has a visual map showing all your connections and info for each computer on your map. It may work on other routers besides Linksys, not sure.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Network Magic. It just worked great for me
icon14.gif

I have 3 Windows 7 machines (2 professional and 1 home premium) and one XP Professional machine on my home network. All are members of the same workgroup. I have a set of file shares on the XP machine and one of the Windows 7 pro boxes. The problem is the home premium machine can't access the shares by name. I have to enter an IP to access and then it works fine.

The part that makes this even more annoying is that the same machine had the same issue when on Vista home premium, I did a clean install to Windows 7 and now the issue persists. Equally annoying is on each of the Windows 7 machines I can see all of the computers in the network map (resolved to IP) but if I try to access either share through the network mapping it fails "unable to locate".

I have not set up or joined any homegroups but am just trying to do standard workgroup sharing. Any help would be appreciated, I have read through several threads and have yet to find a solution. This has to be something minor I'm missing or I would have trouble with more than one of my computers I just can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance

--rugger

OK - disclaimer - I'm no expert
I would look at the services running associated with network information exchange.
If 3 systems are talking to each other via naming and one isn't, but all are using IP then the one that isn't is not getting the information.
Right off hand I can't tell u which service(s) it might be but look at one like

DNS Client
DHCP Client
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Peer Name Resolution
etc.

Thanks for the response, I like where you were heading with it. I did a quick comparison on the running services on each system looking for relevant services but nothing showed up other than system specific services.

I wish this made sense in some way, the part that kills me is the network mapping works fine but accessing the device fails unless you do it directly by IP. I can't quite wrap my head around that right now.

I am working around it at the moment with the usual hosts file entry but that shouldn't be necessary and I'd prefer to roll off that workaround. If you, or anyone else has any ideas that would be great.

Again, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

--rugger

rugger:
The "network path not found" or similar error is generally caused by third party applications like firewalls, Zone Alarm, Comodo, etc. and or third party Antivirus / Internet Security Suites running some type of firewall applet. I have even seen it caused by remanants left over from an apparent but not complete uninstall. Here is a check list for you to run through, I know you've probably done most of it, but it never hurts to double check. Even the Windows firewall can sometimes cause this, if you've done anything to change it, including the dreaded clicking the "Restore Defaults" link. If you need any help with any of these post back, and by the way LMHosts file is for netbios information, not HOSTS so to really force the netbios information you need to create and LMHosts file (no extension) that contains the IP address netbios name and the #PRE comment, you can use the LMHosts.sam (sample file) as an example)
Click start and type services.msc in the search box
Or hold down the windows logo key and hit the R key and type services.msc in the run dialog box
Make sure the following services are running and set to automatic on all machines.
1. Computer Browser
2. DHCP Client unless you are manually assigning static ip addresses to your machine
3. DNS Client unless you have manually assigned static DNS server addresses on you machine
4. Server
5. TCP/IP Netbios helper
6. Workstation
7. Look for Bonjour service and temporarily set it to manual or disable and stop. Also check services near the top for a

peculiar string containing numbers and or special characters, something like this
"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##" disable and stop.
8. Make sure all machines have the same workgroup name "Workgroup" is fine.
9. All network nodes must be unique, make sure there are no machine name conflicts, and as strange as it may sound

make sure there are no missing or conflicting mac addresses.
10. Make sure Network Discovery is turned on, on the Win 7 machines
11. Under the network and sharing center, change “Advanced Sharing Settings” intelligently to suit your needs. Turn on

network discovery, turn on file and printer sharing, turn on pulic folder sharing, turn off password protected sharing,
and at the bottom Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers.
12. If your problem is with down level clients like XP and Vista and your Windows 7 machine is in a homegroup, leave it

and disable IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter.
13. Make sure NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4 on you network adapter.
14. Make sure file and printer sharing is enable on both and that local firewalls are supporting it.
15. Temporarily uninstall any third party firewalls or Internet Security Suites that may include some type of Firewall

applet (you can always reinstall them later) temporarily disconnect your home network from the internet if this steps
makes you say Whoa!!
16. Clear DNS cache at a command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns
17. Clear netbios name table cache at a command prompt type nbtstat -R
18. Use the ping command, ping each machine from the other by IP address as well as netbios name if either of these fail

you may have skipped over step #15 or the embedded windows firewall may have a problem so turn it off too,
temporarily for testing.
19. Then examine the netbios name table cache at a command prompt type nbtstat -c make sure that each netbios name

is identified correctly by it's proper IP address
20. Disable any network adapters that are not in use
21. Make sure that you have the most current up to date drivers for your network adapter(s) from the hardware device

manufacturer's website
22. Make sure you have the latest firmware updates for your router from the router manufacturer's website
23. In the case of an addon card insure you adapter is seated properly and is identified properly in device manager
24. In the case of a hardwired cable connection inspect the diagnostic lights at both ends of the cable usually amber or

green, steady when connected and flashing when activity is detected, yours may very, don't hesitate to swap out a
suspect cable or swap to a known good port on the router / switch.

Last edited:
Well, I thought I'd throw this out there in case it would jar any other ideas. I have run into this before on some systems at work and decided to check it on the computer I'm having trouble with.

ipconfig /all

Node Type .....: Hybrid

This is the node type on the systems with no issue, on the machine where I can't access the shares by name the node type was peer-to-peer (p_mode). So I went into the registry to change the value (that's the only way I know how to change it).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters
Parameter DHCPNodeType value:8 (Hybrid)

I realize this uses peer-to-peer then broadcast if p2p fails, but thought it was worth a try.

Now I was expecting this to fix the issue because I've seen it work in the past but no dice. I also noticed in the registry on my windows 7 professional machine this parameter did not exist while it does on the home premium install.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than myself on the topic can chime in on this one.

--rugger

@Trouble - thanks for the post, it looks like I was typing mine up when you posted. I'll run through the items you listed and verify them. Most I have done but there were a few it looks like I may not have checked. Thanks for clarifying the hosts/lmhosts for me, I never used the lmhosts file.

--rugger

Most of it is standard boiler plate help for networking, your problem seems to be specific to a netbios propagation issue so that's why I threw in the LMhosts file info. Hosts is FQDN to IP address and LMhosts is Netbios (friendly names) to IP address.

Well, it is working for the time being. I have the node type set to hybrid, rather than p2p, and took Trouble's steps clearing the NetBios name table cache. I cleared it and then checked the resolved list and surprise, now I see the server listed.

Accessing the shares by name now works. I'm not 100% convinced it will work tomorrow but it is working now, if it for some reason breaks again I'm sure I'll be back.

Hopefully this takes care of it for good and Trouble's steps will help someone else.

Thanks

--rugger

I never used the lmhosts file, used to work a lot on unix and linux servers and we used the hosts file for everything so I started there. I don't know that it was the best way to handle it then as the hosts file was kind of a mess, but I inherited that one and left before I cleaned it all up.

Thanks again.

--rugger

OK, I am about to write a book on W7 networking. I think I have experienced every issue known to W7 users - and resolved most.

BUT HERE IS ANOTHER...

4 systems - 2 XP (1, 2), 2 W7 (3, 4)
Homegroups is working between 3, 4 (W7 to W7)

Using Windows Explorer
3, 4 will also access via workgroups (W7 to W7)
1 will access 2, 3, and 4 (XP to XP or W7)
2 will access 1, 3, 4 (XP to XP or W7)
3 and 4 will access 2 (either W7 to ONE XP)
HOWEVER, when I try to access 1 via 3 or 4 it asks for a network password. (either W7 to the OTHER XP).

as far as I can tell both XP systems are configured the same relative to users and other security - but obviously I am missing something.
OR, OR is it on the W7 side????????????????

all shares are set up to include EVERYONE with all permissions.

Back