Windows 10 Windows Screen Capture?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just started trying to use Windows 10 screen capture.

Windows Key + G, and push the red button.

It works for capturing the video from both games and the internet, but I'm not getting sound on either one.

Like most Windows apps it's very light on settings, I'm not finding any preferences about sound or anything .

It does show that they sound is not muted, but that's about all I see.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Mike

Hi

I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 video card.
It does the full HD video capture fine, but the sound is missing.

I'm using my on board sound for playback because I had driver issues in Windows 10 with my Sound Blaster Audigy sound card.

Mike

Hi

I found a solution.

I had to change the settings in the Sound Playback window, and configure it to 16 bit Stereo instead of 24 bit 5.1 sound.

Mike

by default the sound is US standard Mp4 and will go to your "Videos" - "Captures" folder in WX ... I assume you arn't using head phones?
the setting are on the right hand side of the tool bar

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (86).png

p.s, try recording your mic as well

Have any idea what it should be set at to use my normal settings?
It's set to 128 just like yours, but there are other options.

first step is see if you have a mp4 codex... i.e, can you hear the sound when you watch my star wars demo?

Hi

I have mpg4 codec, and yes I can hear your Star Wars demo.

I create video, with complex multi layer sound, in Premiere and everything works.

I guess that there's no reason that I can't just leave it at Stereo 16 bit, while I'm recording the video, I don't really hear the difference anyway and if I edit it and remake it, and save in a normal format it will probably work.

It only takes a minute or so the switch it back an forth.

It's typical of MS that they would have it not work at what is pretty much the standard settings for everyone that I know.
I suppose that an XBox doesn't support surround sound, so their app doesn't either.

I always used FRAPS for this stuff but it doesn't work well with Windows since Windows 7 and I don't think they every update it anymore.

Mike

Hi again.

Well I captured the same game video using FRAPS and the Windows app.

The Fraps video does capture the sound in either format, and more importantly the quality of the video is much better in FRAPS.
So I guess there isn't really any reason to mess with the Microsoft capture utility and I don't think that FRAPS has been updated it ten years.

The reason that I kind of shied away from fraps is that it won't capture anything from the Windows desktop or a browser window anymore.

But it does still do the job for game capture, maybe it's time to see if there is something new out there that will do both.

Mike

at the end of the day the only real difference is the meta data that comes with standard US mp4 allows for copyright tracking... happy you have it working now so lets get back to gaming.

Back