Windows 7 Windows Security, can't change settings.

Hi

The hidden restore partition is a copy of Windows installation files and all the drivers etc. used on your computer.

It can probably be accessed by tapping the F11 key during boot, (it depends on the brand of computer) and it will allow you to restore your computer to the original state, just the way it was when you first got it.

The System Reserved is a partition on Windows 7 computers, I believe it stores backup information for things like System Restore so that they aren't save on the C:\ drive. Not quite sure it that's it exactly but it shouldn't be removed.

Mike

Another update on the system... I've disabled the search indexing service, disabled most of the graphical effects, updated windows, installed AVG and updated it, and uninstalled every google product apart from google earth (which won't let me uninstall it). I made those tweaks after finding that google updater and the windows search service were reported in event viewer as causing a delay on bootup.

The laptop hasn't sped up to any noticable degree, and I can't switch on AVG. When I try, I go through the security checks asking if I'm sure I want to trust it, then if I'm really sure, then it just does nothing, AVG is still off, there's no error message, it's like it just forgot all about it. This is the same thing it was doing with norton before I uninstalled it. Every test I run on this system comes back with no errors, but there's something seriously wrong with it and I have no idea what.

Personally I'd remove AVG anyway and use Microsoft Security Essentials, actually that's what I did.
I used AVG for years but I'm having good results with MSE and less drag on my computer.

I'm guessing that most of the people here depend on MSE now.

If you are having problems removing AVG try Revo Uninstaller or check out this removal tool.

http://techdows.com/2009/04/download-avg-removal-tool.html

AVG can be hard to remove just like Norton and McAfee.

Mike

Last edited:
Once again Ted & I are on the same wavelength...

1. Get rid of AVG & use MSE
2. > cmd, Run as Admin, type sfc /scannow
3. > cmd, Run as Admin, type chkdsk /r/f
4. Run Malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.org

Regards,
Drew

Thanks again for the replies,
I've tried all 4 stages suggested by Drew, plus a scan in MSE,
no errors detected, but the system still takes 4 minutes, 40 seconds from power button to login screen.

I noticed when I put it into safe mode it spends a while on classpnp.sys,
Some research suggested resetting the bios to default might help, but that didn't solve it either.

Ok, in that case use msconfig & look for unwanted or unneeded things running during Start Up that can be disabled.

Drew

I've just booted it with almost all of the services and programs on startup disabled, it's now taking 4 minutes 10 seconds to reach the login prompt.

Ok, well, that's just nuts! IF, you are sure there is no malware & no corruption anywhere, no junk & nothing unwanted or unnecessary running then, I would really consider looking @ hardware issues. No way clean, healthy, unbloated software (OS) should take anywhere near that long, of course. Does it run slowly after it is going?

Drew

It seems variable, it runs fine a lot of the time but then sometimes there's a delay. Also the hard drive activity keeps maxing out for short bursts (only a few seconds at most) but I can't find out what's causing it. Last time I checked, there were no processes listed as using the hard drive while it was happening. The bar showing the number of hard errors in the memory reaches 100, but the memory passed the windows diagnostic. I was just about to uninstall all the drivers and try to reinstall them, but I don't have the origonal disks and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find them online.

I think I might have narrowed it down to 1 file, CLASSPNP.SYS . When I boot into safe mode, that's the only file that has a large delay. I'm going to check the Windows 7 disks for that file, then try reinstalling the drivers, I'll post back with the results.

Edit - no success. I couldn't find the file on the windows 7 disk, and the only drivers I found online were older than the ones already on the laptop, Since I can't reinstall if anything goes wrong I didn't want to risk changing anything that could stop windows from booting. I ran the windows memory diagnostic a couple of times but there was no result.

I've had the laptop for a while now, most of it's problems are fixed and I don't know anything else I can do with it, so I think I'll just have to give it back as it is. Thanks again to everyone for the advice, I hope this thread can help other people with similar problems.

Last edited:
Back