Windows 7 Windows shared and sql connection drops

geo77

Hello all,
I am facing a problem, I can't seem to figure out in some of my workstations mainly running windows 7.

So, I have two physical networks connected via vpn, and because I needed to have them resolve by name I had to set up a wins server and add it to all of my workstations for the resolution purposes.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problems, but it seems to have started around the time when I set up the wins server. I can now ping by name from both locations, by name.

However, some of the workstations in the same physical building as my server have started to have some connectivity, mainly the mapped drive to the server stops working as well as a data application that uses a MS Sql database connection drops on certain computers.

I have made sure on at least one of the computers facing the issue has no firewall enabled or anything blocking it, I can ping the server continuously without an issue. I am kind of at a dead end, because of my limited knowledge of windows networking.
I am on a windows workgroup and using windows server 2008 R2

Thank you all for any help.

Back