Windows 7 Windows Update Error Code 80072EFD

Tansen

Hey,

This is a relatively fresh install a couple months back I never updated then when I decided to I think it was two months ago, it just suddenly kept giving me this. Funny because it seems everytime I try and update windows **** like this happens and their a product of their own failure.

Anyways I ran the loop:
sfc /scannow, no dice
mal-ware antimalware bytes, no dice
firewall is never enabled, no dice
no anti-virus since they are viruses anyways but ran AVG and avast temporarily, no dice.
Searched the web kept finding solutions for Vista.

Specs are:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 0 updates.

Problem: When you try to use Windows Update or update Windows Defender to check for and install updates, you receive one of the following error messages:

Windows Defender error code 0x80072efd
Windows Update error code 80072efd

The following solution worked for me on a PC running Vista SP1. This was after all of the other suggestions provided by Microsoft Support at Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update and How do I reset Windows Update components? did not work.

Solution (Vista SP 1):

1. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click “Command Prompt” Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Type "netsh winhttp reset proxy" (without quotes) at the command prompt, and press Enter.

4. Try the update again.

Well, I believe your problem is kinda related with corrupt OS files, incorrect system settings and so on. What you have to do is simply check system files for corruption, restore your machine to an earlier date. Use a hotfix available and if doesn't work go with the other options. Follow the steps given below until your problem is completely resolved. The steps given below can be used for System File Checker and System Restore.

Use System File Checker:

1. Insert Windows installation disc.
2. Click the Start button.
3. Point to All Programs | Accessories.
3. Select Run.
4. Type the following:
CMD
5. Press ENTER.
6. In the Command Prompt dialog type following command:
SFC /SCANNOW
7. After the process is successfully performed, type EXIT and press ENTER. Reboot your machine for the changes to take effects.

Use System Restore:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools.
2. Select System Restore.
3. A wizard opens.
4. Click Next.
5. Select a previous restore point.
6. Confirm the action and follow the on-screen instructions.

Back