Windows 7 Windows Update Failed and Nuked Internet Connection (IP address still getting assigned)

nicechiguy2000

I was applying the some updates to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the update process failed. I shut down the computer and when it rebooted, the computer reported my Internet connection was down.

My computer is still getting an IP address and DNS settings from the router.
I can ping 127.0.0.1 but as soon as I try to ping my router I get the destination host net unreachable message
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IPv4 (netsh int IP reset C:\resetlog.txt & netsh Winsock reset (both as administrator))
I have tried uninstalling .NET since that is one of the upgrades that failed.
I have tried re-running Windows Update to see if the updates which had downloaded would install (failed)

Windows troubleshooter is worthless as it keeps suggesting the network cable is unplugged or broken.

Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Run ipconfig and check that router ip address, pc ip address, dns server address, default gateway address are all compatible. If you are unsure about any of that run the following command from the command prompt and post the file ipconfig.txt from your desktop on here.

ipconfig /all > desktop/ipconfig.txt

Back