Windows XP Windows Update Lost

seekermeister

Honorable Member
While running updates, after the first series were installed, it complained that it couldn't use IE 6 for updating any longer, and led me to a download page for IE 8, since it said that IE 9 wasn't compatible with XP. So I downloaded and installed IE 8, but afterward checking in it's About info, it still said that it was IE 6, however it still let me continue with Windows Update.

During that series of downloads, it also listed IE 8 as an option, so I selected it. That time was successful, because it now identifies itself properly. However when I choose Windows Update from the Control Panel, it now opens Opera, and is blocked by MS. If I simply minimize Opera and click Windows Update again, it will open IE, but is still blocked.

This seems quite strange to me, because the window that Updates usually uses for that purpose doesn't look like IE to me, but a window specifically designed for the purpose, kind of like a Windows Explorer windows without the folder tree on the left. Automatic updates still works properly, but that doesn't permit me access to optional updates. How do I get it to work as before?

Never mind, I found a solution. Though it doesn't work from the Control Panel link, it does work from the one in the Security Center. It would be nice if it were to work both ways, but I can live with it as it is.

Not trying to sound smart or anything, but you do know that XP support will finally and totally end by April 8, 2014? Windows 7 goes to January 14th, 2020, may depend a bit on what version one has.

With all well meaning, you need a new OS. The sooner, the better. Cheers. :)

No, I disagree. The computer that is installed on is not a priority device. In fact, the only plan that I have for it is to run a security camera system. It is not going to be connected to the internet in general use. I also have some software that will only run on XP, and this setup allows me to use them. If the computer lasts that long, I may upgrade it (maybe) when Windows 9 is released. I don't even know that it would run Windows 7, because the hardware is rather antiquated, and IBM may have designed it in some proprietary fashion that would make it difficult to upgrade...don't knows. In any case, it's going to remain as is for the time being.

Alright, I see. I know people who have 386 and 486 machines running for weather reports and such. One of my friends has practically all generations of computers, from Commodore to Pentium to Pentium 2 etc., in his summer house, and we just love to play old games.

There was no offense, as you probably know.

I also have an old IBM 380Z laptop in the closet that hasn't worked in years, that I've thought about digging out, just to play with it. It was designed for Windows 98, and when I tried to install XP on it, it went really wacky. As it stands now, all that it is doing is taking up closet space, but I've never been able to bring myself to get rid of it.

Old memories are often the best ones. Well, one needs age to have them? My first LP was Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky, in the video the third part is my favorite.

Personally, I don't like looking back too much...at least not in general. My past is full of things I'd rather forget. That doesn't prevent me from using the past to my advantage when possible though.

Back