Windows Vista Windows Update Not Working/Running, at a loss.

Kimberly L

Hi there! My name is Kim and I've run into a technical issue I just can't seem to troubleshoot for the life of me.

When I try to run my Windows Update, it gives me the error that 'Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running'. Its been like this for quite some time, and since this computer is a fairly old one my old roommates let me buy off them about a year ago, I'm not sure how to fix it.
  • I tried running the FixIt for Windows Update, but the Powershell failed to install.
  • Due to that, I tried the FixIt for the .Net Framework, and that seemed to go off, but my Powershell is still not working.
  • I tried changing my permissions to let files be written on C:/, however that didn't seem to help.
What should be my next course of action? I currently use Windows Vista Home Premium on an Asus Notebook N80Vb/N80Vm Series on a 64 bit operating system.

Please let me know if more information is required, thank you!

-Kimberly

Hi Kim,

2 things I can offer:

First > Services
Check the following 2
BITS must be Running (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) set to Auto (Delayed Start)
and
Windows Update - Automatic (Trigger Start)

And
> cmd, Run as Admin
(type) netsh winsock reset
Reboot

If the above does not do the trick, anything to do w/ WU is a FREE call to Microsoft for their help. It is a security issue that WU must work. Here is the toll-free # to call, 1-866-727-2338

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Hey Kim!
I hope that you can do the check for Microsoft.com site/go to Vista troubleshoot at there/then please use the print screen button as when trying to do the update make sure you do print screen it or use the"snip tool" from start as will see it at "accessories". These actions if the following will not fix this issue. The Vista seems like have a file missing as may be it is not activated,or even the display and settings stopping from installing any updates. You can check the "notification icon" next to the clock as can show if any issues going on and if so will see this words"change windows update setting". If it is so go to "control panel","windows update" then click on it and will get you to there and see if it is clicked on recommend updating. If not click it and will see a notification showing few updates you need to install. I hope this help and let me know what is going on, although Vista is not free from issues as that is why Windows 7 is mostly the best :).

Back