Windows 7 Windows Update not working

Joe S

Excellent Member
I noticed my Windows updates no longer works it just sits there eating up memory. I suspect it may be the indirect cause of recent BSODs. After the system boots up and runs a little while usage jumps alot. I restored an image from April and it tested OK with SFC Scanow. I'm still using IE9 . If I go into services and stop Windows update usage drops. I've waited as long a 10 min with no results showing in windows Update. Any suggestions for a fix?
Joe

I'm beginning to think it's a hardware issue. I started getting BSODs and freezes again daily. They seem most common when the PC has been off for a while. Who Crashed pointed to the video driver a couple of times so I updated that yesterday and still getting Bsods. I replaced the video card about 5 years ago and wonder if that might be the culprit. The old card fried from a bad driver. I repaired it but never tested it. It's frustrating Bsods the stop for a while then reappear. I thought it was the high usage from Windows update while browsing. Even with Updates disabled it does start after a while. I was hoping this PC would last until real Windows 10 was available from builders without the upgrade mess. I uninstalled Private Frewall and uninstalled and reinstalled Avast clean. I can't use MSE since Windows update isn't working. It started about 5 months ago and then cleared up until the end of Aug. The Sept updates all installed OK. The Bsods and freezes got more common again this past week or so. It's frustrating that so many things update in the background that you don't notice. I've got a lot of images but had to go back to may to find one that passed SFC Scanow. It's frustrating to say the least.
Joe

Thanks I ran it and it passed. It seems like I had problems once before with video drivers and needed to run a utility to clean out the old video drivers. I can't find it now, any suggestions? I've also been thinking about running Memtest again also. It's frustrating trying to figure out the real problem. To make things worse so many things now auto update in the background without your knowledge.
Joe

Thanks for the link. I'm trying to figure out how to run Memtest I had the CD but don't remember how long to run each stick. Is 10 min enough? I also got a BSOD in Safe Mode this morning when I went to run MBAM there. I suspect dome king of hardware issue is going on. as far as the Windows update issue could I be blocked at the MS end? I'm an insider running Windows 10 in a VM.
Joe

Usually the longer the better but 12hrs is considered a decent test. As for the windows update issue... Has it ever worked whilst you've ran the os in VM?

Can I run the Memtest wit all 4 sticks in place? I tested then one at a time this afternoon. 10-15 min each.
Joe

I've tried a few things to fix windows update but no luck. I'm still using IE9 and by Jan MS will require IE11. I tried running IE11 when it came out and had problems with it and IE10. Could that be part of the trouble I'm having with Windows Update now? I hate the thought but would a repair install fix things? The last disk for Windows 7 I slipstreamed was Dec 2012. It was a pain getting all of the updates. With XP several people made monthly updates so it was a simple process to make an up to date ISO. I don't understand what happened the Sept updates worked fine. My copy of Windows shows as genuine but windows validation doesn't validate it. I wonder if it is something MS has done getting ready for using only IE11.
Joe

I guess I'll have to try the phone when I get feeling better I'm starting a cold now. I did find this Windows Update Not Working!
so I'm not the only one with problems. The other 3 PCs in the house connect OK. It's frustrating going through their phone menue!
Joe

I think I finally got it fixed. I ran the Windows Readiness tool and it seemed to fix the Windows Update problem. It took about 45 min to run.
Joe

Hmm ok.. Well if it worked then that's great. Post back Joe if the issue should reappear.

Back
Top Bottom