Windows Update very slow - unusable

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP 1
ASUS laptop K52F

Windows update is extremely slow. Windows Update IS downloading updates but the download speed is so very slow - about 10 kbps - that Windows Update is unusable. I tested my download speed against other sites, for example updating Malwarebytes database & that download speed was 760 kbps (as measured using NetWork 'Speed Meter' utility). I tried rebooting but this did not work. What could possibly be wrong? I have scanned my laptop with Avast, Malwarebytes, etc & nothing was found. I have had this type of problem before and rebooting solved the problem. Not this time. Any suggestions?

badrobot

I depends from which location your download is coming from. There's nothing wrong with your PC. It could also be the online traffic. Everybody else might be getting the update.

To close the loop on this problem:

As to the problem with Microsoft Windows Update -- I downloaded from Microsoft a program that "fixes" Windows Update. When I ran this program, it found two problems (although it did not specify the details :-( ) that it fixed. From then on, I was able to complete all of the updates. I did 17 updates of approximately 140 MB in about 50 minutes. For some folks, this would be quite slow. But I was fine with this speed.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.