Windows 10 Windows Update Won't Apply

Cincinnatus

I keep getting a notice that KB3081438 needs to apply, it downloads and I manually restart the machine, but for some reason the patch isn't being applied. Any help out there for this?

Thanks!

Did 3081436 install OK on Tuesday? I don't know your situation, but I had to restart to install the updates on Tuesday before that one would install.

Yep, that seems to be a problem. Here are the updates that failed to install:
KB2538243 (Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack)
KB3081436 (Cumulative Update for Windows 10)
KB3081438 (same as above)
[ETA: I've been restarting both warm boot and cold boot all day with no luck]

Any assistance is appreciated.

Both of my systems have the C++ 2008, but neither has that update (2538243). Can you try hiding it to see if the other updates will install?

Or try turning off the options to Update other Microsoft Products.

Last edited:
Can you try hiding it to see if the other updates will install? Or try turning off the options to Update other Microsoft Products.
Don't know how to hide updates on this version of Windows. I did turn off updates for other MS products, no help. One thing that is troubling is a notice in red text that I never saw before: 'some settings are managed by your organization'. Might it have something to do with admin permissions?

ETA: Apparently I'm not the only one having troubles. I suspected that forced automatic updates would be a problem given Microsoft's history with patches and 'updates' that fix one thing and break three others, and it seems as though I was right.

Would applying files manually from this source be safe?
Complete List Windows 10 updates offline installer 2015

Last edited:
The C++ update appears to be for Visual Studio 2008 and was published on 4/5/2012. You might be able to take care of it through Visual Studio. If you still have that application you might be able to download it manually and try installing that way, if it will work on Windows 10.

Microsoft Update Catalog

That update was triggered by Extensis Suitcase font manager.

I wound up reverting to a 'vanilla' clean install of 10 and I'm in the process of reinstalling all my apps. It's a total PITA and I surely hope Microsoft will reconsider this ill-advised strategy of forcing updates.

I have to be honest with you, there should be no reason an update released in 2012 should only now be installing.

If you had done a reinstall of the prior OS, maybe you didn't wait long enough and it did not show up until after Windows 10 was installed.

I suppose there would have been no way to uninstall that utility and reinstall just it?

I did a fresh install of the utility on a clean install of Windows 10. I've seen cases before where programs rely on legacy code and redistributables, so I'm guessing that's what's going on here.

Since I don't show that update for my C ++ 2008 installs, what you say may be correct in that the utility is using an older version of C++ and has to do the SP1 upgrade. If you installed C++ yourself, do you think it could help so the utility would not need that update?

My C++ installs are done due to Steam...

Back