Windows 8 Windows won't update after 3/21/15 KB300850

DanF4052

My Windows 8.1 was updating automatically until it received KB3000850 0n 3/21/15 . That update failed with error code 80246013 (Which supposedly means that the Windows Auto Update service has stopped) I went to services.msc and found that both Windows Update and Background Intelligent Services were indeed running.

Since 3/21 every other auto update windows has sent has failed to install. The Windows update status shows that all of them are "Pending Restart". Every day I get a message that Windows wants to restart my computer to finish the install of these updates(and any new ones that come along). Every time this series of events takes place:

1)The restart begins and I a get message telling me not to turn off my computer until the updates are completed
2) The of percentage completion appears. This reaches 9% and then stops.
3) The computer restarts itself; events 1) & 2) happen again.
4) The computer restarts itself;and I get a message that says the required changes could not be made,and are being undone.
5) The computer restarts and is fully useable;but when I check the status of any updates since 3/21 they all show their status as "Pending Update".

Can someone explain to me what is going on,and how I fix it?

Not quite sure that I am understanding what you mean by "removing the update". As I mentioned in the first paragraph of my thread, the update status for KB3000850 on 3/21/15 was "Failed". It is not there to be removed as far as I can tell from the Update History.

However, I am assuming that, since all future updates have not properly installed, something to do with KB3000850 is causing the problem.

Maybe instead of looking at update history, have a look at installed updates instead.
As you can see, in my case that particular update was installed on 11/19/2014.
I didn't experience any issues with it at that time or subsequently.
Still it may be installed and you may have to look a little deeper.

Attachments

• 3000850.JPG
    3000850.JPG
    728.9 KB · Views: 413
Maybe instead of looking at update history, have a look at installed updates instead.
As you can see, in my case that particular update was installed on 11/19/2014.
I didn't experience any issues with it at that time or subsequently.
Still it may be installed and you may have to look a little deeper.
Looked at all the installed updates (All the way back to 11/14 when it was originally released) and KB3000850 was not listed as installed.

Back