Windows XP Windows XP forget full

Shotocan

Built an windows xp machine for mother Inlaw. Has worked fine for two years. Scan for malware and viruses four times a month for her, running avast anti virus. The last week when windows is ldleing and you go to use it. It will ask for a pass word. There was no pass word for this account. So I rebooted and did on line eset scan nothing. Spy bot s&d updated nothing. Antimalwearbytes, nothing. Ran spin right. All ok so I password protected the account. Still the same. Ran cleaner nothing. Ran highjackthis nothing. What am I missing.

Hello Shotocan,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

Is there a possibility that your Mother-In-Law unintentionally, or maybe intentionally, put in a password?

Don

The last week when windows is ldleing and you go to use it. It will ask for a pass word. There was no pass word for this account.
Doesn't sound like you have missed much of anything.
As Don has mentioned she may have intentionally or unintentionally edited or otherwise changed her own password. Or.......
Screen Saver and or Power Options
Double check for the check box "Require Password"
It may be set to prompt and it may still be blank but the prompt will still occur. Just hit enter.
When you reboot and use her account does it prompt for a password? Do you just hit enter?

That was the first question I asked her she said no and after it happened i rebooted the machine and went right into her account no password. I was suspecting some one was remotely controlling her machine for nefarious reasons. but as i said checked everything I could but doesn't seam to be running anything bad as per hijack this.

I will also check the promt for password screen save box. thanks for the suggestion!

Wish I had an XP box running so I could check.
I think within the power options console there is also a "Prompt for Password" on Wake or Resume or words to that affect

Just to catch up I chuked windows XP and installed windows 7 This now working flawless she is happy so am I. She now has free antivirus to MSE.

Back
Top Bottom