Windows 7 Windows xp mode in w7 help use usb device

bobalazs

Extraordinary Member
Hi.

I have this problem, that windows 7 does not support my Aiptek Slim 3000 photo/cam device. I was able to use it back in windows xp.
So i downloaded and installed windows xp mode, all is well.
However, windows 7 can not use the device, is it possible to use it in windows xp mode?
Any help is appreciated.

I do not run the Virtual XP. But if you run from within the virtual box, can you download drivers for your device?

Otherwise, some devices can still be used if you load the drivers in XP compatitility mode and run them the same way. I have an HP scanner they refused to update the drivers for and it runs fine if I load the XP drivers in this manner.

It should be noted, a driver not certified for Win 7 may cause problems with your system, it just depends on the driver.

re

Yep, i dled and installed the driver for the device, but what happens is windows 7 can not find the driver and in windows xp mode, once i attach the device it just shows up as Virtual pc integration device, therefore can not use it.
Now i dont know if this would work on vmware, perhaps its limitation of virtualpc

Hi
Have you tried searching for a driver from the Manufacturer? , any new driver. I have a PC Line videocam which I was running under XP (both 32 and 64Bit) and I downloaded the most recent driver available and it works with Win 7, no XP mode or virtual box. Try searching for the most recent driver for your equipment and install it. You might get lucky.

Stransky

(Douglas)

Not sure if this will help, but I know that Virtual PC 2007 had no support for USB attached devices and I'm not sure if the latest iteration of XP Mode virtualization is any better, I do know that I resolved all of my issues with USB devices by using Virtual Box VirtualBox I, like saltgrass, had issues with a perfectly good HP scanner, which I couldn't get drivers for. Running XP pro inside of virtualbox, I just simply applied the USB filters to the scanner and a HP USB attached printer and both work fine now inside the XP virtual machine.

I installed windows xp on virtualbox, and spent the last two hours trying to make this work. It doesnt. The device does not even show up in device manager. I too added the usb filters you mentioned.
Now the only way it would work if i dual booted with windows 7 but i don't want to do that.
Another weird thing i noticed is that in windows 7 when i install the driver (the windows xp driver) it shows up as 2 devices. I suppose because it's a "photocam" and a "webcam" as well.
When i was using xp it showed up as only one device.

Last edited:
I installed windows xp on virtualbox, and spent the last two hours trying to make this work. It doesnt. The device does not even show up in device manager. I too added the usb filters you mentioned.
Now the only way it would work if i dual booted with windows 7 but i don't want to do that.
Another weird thing i noticed is that in windows 7 when i install the driver (the windows xp driver) it shows up as 2 devices. I suppose because it's a "photocam" and a "webcam" as well.
When i was using xp it showed up as only one device.
In the XP virtual machine, did you install the appropriate XP drivers for the device and then shut down the virtual machine and in the settings dialog box for the machine did you set the USB as in the attachment and then reboot the machine?

Exactly what i did.

To put it simply what i notice is, if win7 cannot use the device, xp won't either (in Vbox mode)

Exactly what i did.

To put it simply what i notice is, if win7 cannot use the device, xp won't either (in Vbox mode)
I can only assume that perhaps your experience is unique to that particular device. It is not what I'm experiencing. I have no scanner in Windows7 since I can't get the driver to install properly despite several failed attempts, however; it installs and works without issue in Windows XP pro, running inside the virtual box software. See attachment

Okay case closed. I solved the problem by deleting the device in win7 dev. manager, rebooted, and in vbox i reinstalled the driver. Voila! Worked! :p

Okay case closed. I solved the problem by deleting the device in win7 dev. manager, rebooted, and in vbox i reinstalled the driver. Voila! Worked! :p
Good to know, and glad you were able to resolve your issue. I thought I had temporarily gone crazy in what I was seeing and you were telling me. That may very well explain the difference since i was never able to install my scanner at all in Win7.

Back