Windows 7 Wireless file sharing disconnets

zams

Hi!
I have a problem with two computers, both of them running windows 7 and has wireless network. I have a D-link router.
I successfully configured the home group but when I want to copy a file from one computer to the other, it works correctly for a few seconds but after that both of the computers tend to disconnect from the network. And now I don't know what to do.
I look forward getting a reply.
Thanks

zams:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It often seems that the single most often found cause of issues such as yours is generally attributable to some type of third party software. It can be anything from a third party firewall (Comodo, Zone Alarm) or third party internet security suite (Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc) to applications such as Itunes, and some adobe software which installs the bonjour / mdnsresponder service and cause similar problems.
In the first case I would suggest completely uninstalling any such third party software, first using the software uninstall utility in the control panel, followed by the manufacturer's comprehensive uninstaller, most of the mainstream software vendors have an uninstaller on their respective websites. You can download and install Microsoft Security Essentials for free to replace these and it seems to be a very good and reliable product with a small footprint both from the install as well as the overall system resource consumption standpoint.
In the case of the other issue, open services.msc from the search box and see if you have a peculiar string value at or near the top something like this "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##" yours may be slightly different, in any case if it's there double click it , stop it, and set it to disable. Also open task manager and see if mdnsresponder is located under the processes tab.
You can try to use safemode with networking to see if the problem persists as well as this technique from Microsoft to narrow down the offending program, service, or process.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/
Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

Hi and thank you for the fast response.

So if I could clearly get it, you are saying that I should try file sharing on a clear, pure OS. So I have to uninstall nearly every sofware from both of the computers. And lets say file sharing is working on the clear Windows. But after that I need those softwares again so I need to reinstall them. And then file sharing will disconnect again.(?)

I have ESET smart security, Adobe CS3 pack, Winamp, VLC player, things like this. Do you think that the ESET antivirus software can cause the problem? As it has it's own firewall. To be honest, I've read about Security Essentials and it wasn't really convincing...

Thank you for your kindness

I use ESET Smart Security and I have absolutely no networking problems. I use the Home Network rather than the Homegroup. I have 2 computers using Windows 7 and 1 with Xp Pro x64 Edition. The only network problems I have ever had were with XP Home.

I'm not trying to tell you how to set up your network. I'm just telling you what works for me. I'd try resetting your router.

Last edited:
You are more than welcome and no that's not what I'm saying. Adobe CS3, for example installs a version of bonjour with mdnsresponder.
Open services.msc by typing it into the search box and hitting enter. Find the weird string value at or near the top of the list and stop it and then set the startup type to disable.
The only thing that I even suggested that you uninstall was the anti-virus / internet security suite. I personally haven't had any problems with Nod32 (by eset) back in the day, when I was using it. But I'm not familiar with the current version so I really have no information for you regarding it's compatibility or lack there of with Windows 7..... I just know that some folks have some problems properly configuring their choice of security suites and setting up trusts for their various network nodes and sometimes even when they have them configured, apparently properly, they don't seem to work and a simple uninstall will generally show if they are actually causing a problem or not. You can always reinstall them promptly if they don't resolve the issues at hand.

I use ESET Smart Security and I have absolutely no networking problems. I use the Home Network rather than the Homegroup. I have 2 computers using Windows 7 and 1 with Xp Pro x64 Edition. The only network problems I have ever had were with XP Home.

I'm not trying to tell you how to set up your network. I'm just telling you what works for me. I'd try resetting your router.

Stuey:
Sorry I was writing my reply as you were evidently posting yours....Thanks for pitching in and contributing to this thread your contribution is welcome and a router reset as well as a complete network reboot sure wouldn't hurt.
I agree ESET has always been a good product and I've used it religiously in the past. I just switched to Microsoft Security Essentials because I'm cheap and it's free and seems to be a good product as well. I figure this is Microsoft's Operating System, so who better to protect it from virus and malware.
Thanks again
Randy

Oh, Ok, I'm sorry. Now I stopped and disabled that string value and tried to copy a file but it's still the same. Starts copying and then both of the computers disconnects from the network, loose connection with the rooter.

I tried to disable Nod32 but it still remains the same. On the other computer there's AVAST but it enables the connection. I'll try resetting my router then, maybe it helps.

Stueycaster: I tried with both home network and home group but it's still the same. I also have a Windows XP but I didn't dare to set the file sharing on that computer:D Maybe after it is working on the two win7 computers.

I'm a bit disappointed cause I thought in windows 7 they've managed to create a simple and working method for home networking.
I don't really know what to do now.:S

Did you reboot both computers, are they both running Adobe CS3?
Please, as Stuey recommended, perform a complete network reboot. Shut down all computers, as well as any other network nodes, (printers, PS3, Xbox, etc.) Shut down the router, and then shut down the ISP provided device. Then bring them back up in reverse order, one at a time, making sure to allow each to completely reboot monitoring the device lights until each become steady and green, indicating that the boot process for each has been completed. Leave off any devices you don't need right now until you can resolve the issue with these two computers.
Are you sure that both computers become disconnected from the network at the same time (or is it possible only one of them)?
When the event occurs, can you use the ping command from the command prompt to attempt to ping the inside edge of your router from either or both computers?
Does the event only occur when you are transferring files between these two computers. In other words, can you jump on the internet with each or either computer and successfully download files of any size without issue? If the answer to this question is yes, then your issue is almost certainly some type of local software that is misinterpreting local node to node file transfers as a network intrusion.
Again simply disabling or attempting to turn off an internet security suite is often not a viable solution as parts and pieces of the application will still continue to run in the background and often you will find that a complete uninstall is the only thing that will produce results.
I do not ever bash anyone's choice of anti-virus products as I'm sure they all have their good points as well as bad points, it's just that I've spent literally hours trying to resolve these types of issues, only to find that something as simple as a failed, complete uninstall of a previous anti-virus product like Nortons had left remnants of the software still on the machine that resulted in problems that only downloading and running their proprietary uninstaller finally resolved.
All though you wouldn't think so, by reading this forum, Windows 7 is, as Stuey mentioned, generally straight forward and simple when it comes to networking, but is extremely finicky about networking hardware and device drivers and can apparently be crippled by various types of third party software that is not entirely Windows 7 compatible.
After re-reading Stuey's post, he didn't suggest rebooting your router, his suggestion was to reset the router which involves using the reset button usually on the back or bottom of the device, that of course would reset everything back to factory defaults, which may not be a bad idea. Of course make sure you have notes as to how to reconfigure your connections.

It's been my experience that networking in both Vista and Windows 7 works exceptionally well. For me they have both been absolutely flawless. That Bonjour Services thing that Trouble mentioned has been a sore spot for some other people. I really would look into problems with third party software before I would blame Windows. Maybe you should look into disabling some start-up programs in Msconfig. I personally have always allowed only the necessary start-up programs.

I'm sorry for not answering for a while, but my father has gone abroad and he took the laptop so I can not do anything until he comes back. As long as the laptop is not here I will answer the questions.

'Are you sure that both computers become disconnected from the network at the same time (or is it possible only one of them)?' - Yes, both of them
'...successfully download files of any size without issue?' - Yes I can download any files with both of the computers.

I don't know if it's a problem, but before I wrote my post, I tried to solve the problems myself and I followed the steps of this guide:
Windows 7 Network File Sharing Fix – Tanner Williamson because I couldn't reach the other computer until I modified the local security policy.

Certainly understandable, keep us posted when the laptop returns and we can chase this problem further.
In the mean time, I read the article that you linked to and that article references NTLMv2 as well as 128 bit encryption which should not have caused any problems for you initially since both machines, according to your original post, are both running Windows 7 and as such should have both been able to handle the default settings without any adjustments to the local security policy. So I'm not sure how that would have helped resolving your problems.
I noticed that you mentioned using "Home Groups" which of course requires the use of IPv6 and I'm just wondering if perhaps your router may be having some problems with that. Can you post the manufacturer (D-Link you mentioned earlier) the model number, and the version number which should be available on a tag on the bottom or back of the router.
Some older routers still have issues with IPv6 for which there may very well be a firmware upgrade that you might want to try. If not maybe try just disabling IPv6 on both computers and use a simple WORKGROUP file sharing solution and see if that performs more reliably.
Good luck and keep us posted.

It was necessary because without modifying that, I always got an error message when I tried to click on a shared folder. (sg. like I don't have the permission or that the device is offline)

My router is a D-Link DI-524.

It was necessary because without modifying that, I always got an error message when I tried to click on a shared folder. (sg. like I don't have the permission or that the device is offline)

My router is a D-Link DI-524.
I ended up replacing my DI-524 rev-c router. I got a Belkin and it works better. It's given me no problems at all. My D-Link just stopped working. I had no connection at all.

Back