Windows 7 Wireless G PCI unrecognized.

jhooks

So i just installed windows 7 on a partition on my desktop and its not picking up my linksys wireless G pci card. Im currently on my laptop which windows 7 had no issues with the internet.

I've googled it and it seems alot of people are having this problem.
I've gotten all possible drivers I can find and tried them all, no dice.

I've been looking around, and i've read good things about d-link. This card i have has always given me grief, do you think i might have better luck with a d-link card?

Help on the matter would be great.

I have had the same problem except I am running a desktop instead of a laptop. I have a Belkin card and copied all the drivers from the Vista Partition system 32 to the new partition then went and unchecked ipv6 and still nothing. Win 7 says there is a card in the slot however the drivers can't be found. Did I miss a step when I transferred my drivers into the Win 7 partition sys32 folder?

-Dan (also from chi-town :razz:)

ps i am running vista 32 bit but the win7 is 64 bit....

White Sox or Cubs.....J/K

hey Dan, it may be possible that the drivers got corrupted in the move. Also, you may want to check the Bios to make sure your PCI isn't designated for something else too like say primary video...just a thought.. One other option...if you register, this utility updates drivers after it scans your hardware. I've used it as well as quite a few people in this forum...let me know how it turns out
DriverMax - free driver updates

White Sox...sorry

Well i have cracked down to using my onboard wifi and evidently my P.O.S. ATT U Verse router doesnt like windows 7. I had to remove all security features and passwords and now i can get online through win7, but so can anyone else. I had a freind recommend setting my router security from WPA-Psk to WEP and perhaps that may work. Weather this is linked to my origional belkin PCI card problems, i have no idea... Any input would be helpful!

Don't be sorry for being a Sox fan...

That just means that you think clearly :) Onto your card, there have been others that I talk to that are having difficulties with WEP. Some entities are not supporting wep anymore because of the RC4 flaw. I suggest trying WPA...let me know the outcome

problem solved!

I changed the security from the WPA to WEP and i got on through win 7. woot.

hey Dan, it may be possible that the drivers got corrupted in the move. Also, you may want to check the Bios to make sure your PCI isn't designated for something else too like say primary video...just a thought.. One other option...if you register, this utility updates drivers after it scans your hardware. I've used it as well as quite a few people in this forum...let me know how it turns out
DriverMax - free driver updates

Hi guy --this is just the sort of program I'd advise people NOT to run on their computers -- this site might be OK but these type of programs often contain adware, spyware and worse.

The logic behind these types of programs are also pretty stupid as the computer you want the drive for is not necessarily the one you are using to access the internet with -- and even if you are you might be using Linux or XP (since the card works) but actually want the driver for Vista or W7 which doesn't work. Also inevitably you'll at the very least have to register somewhere - and you'll get loads of "Nagware" asking you to upgrade to a "Pro" i.e PAY FOR version.

Windows update on the whole is your best bet -- OK if you can't access the Net a problem I know. Otherwise just try the manufacturers site or even a "generic" driver if you can find one using a machine or OS that DOES work and then install the driver manually.

NIC cards, and the Virtual SCSI emulation (software such as Alcohol, Clone CD, Daemon tools etc use this for mounting an ISO as a virtual CD/DVD) seem to be the biggest problems so far in the Beta together with some rather extreme Video cards. I'm not a gamer so I can't help with the Video drivers but I'll certainly keep looking at the NIC front. Strangely enough most wireless cards work OK.

A temporary get around is (even on a desktop) to use a bog standard USB==>LAN adapter - very cheap and fast enough for most usage. On a Laptop a PCI express==>Lan card works fine for wired connections and can be faster than the built in NIC card anyway --speeds of 1GB are possible unlike typical LAN speeds of 100MB. - This is for your own INTERNAL LAN BTW not connection to the Internet - that speed is limited by your ISP.

Cheers

jimbo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom