Wireless internet disconnects for a few seconds to a minute then connects again

#1
My internet randomly looses connection for a few seconds ranging to a minute, then it connects by itself and starts working again. It gets repeated again and again. The first day with internet on windows 7 was fine, this only started to occur a day or so after.

Can anyone help me?
 


Highwayman

Extraordinary Member
#2
I'd be checking signal quality or if neighbours happen to have wifi also on the same channel etc
 


#3
My internet randomly looses connection for a few seconds ranging to a minute, then it connects by itself and starts working again. It gets repeated again and again. The first day with internet on windows 7 was fine, this only started to occur a day or so after.

Can anyone help me?
Did you install an AV program or firewall .. or any other kind of security software?


There is a service called wlan autoconfig that polls every 60 seconds for a better connection. Sometimes gamers turn it off becuase it causes a lag.. perhaps your lag is extended more than the 2 or 3 seconds they see.
 


#4
My internet randomly looses connection for a few seconds ranging to a minute, then it connects by itself and starts working again. It gets repeated again and again. The first day with internet on windows 7 was fine, this only started to occur a day or so after.

Can anyone help me?
Can you test this: Go to task manager /services /services and disable Function Discovery Resource
and reboot. Let me know if that fixes it for you It's easy to reverse to automatic if it doesn't.
 


#5
Did you install an AV program or firewall .. or any other kind of security software?
.
Yes I installed Avira Antivir

Can you test this: Go to task manager /services /services and disable Function Discovery Resource
and reboot. Let me know if that fixes it for you It's easy to reverse to automatic if it doesn't.
Sure thing i'll be doin it now, there's 2 types of Function Discovery Resource:

Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

I'll turn them both off and see what happens
 


#6
My internet stopped dropping once I disabled the function discovery x2, but my internet download speed seems to be quite slow; it's running at 13.66mb/s with wireless

does anyone know what my download speed is so slow since i switched to windows 7 64
 


#7
Yes I installed Avira Antivir



Sure thing i'll be doin it now, there's 2 types of Function Discovery Resource:

Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

I'll turn them both off and see what happens
Only one is "resource" the other needs to be on.


Did you run the diagnostic utilities I list in my tagline? They may turn up something.
 


#8
Only one is "resource" the other needs to be on.
I turned off resources and restarted. i checked services after restarting and it says the status is "started" although i turned it off before restarting

Only one is "resource" the other needs to be on.
Did you run the diagnostic utilities I list in my tagline? They may turn up something.
I will try it now
 


#9
My internet randomly looses connection for a few seconds ranging to a minute, then it connects by itself and starts working again. It gets repeated again and again. The first day with internet on windows 7 was fine, this only started to occur a day or so after.

Can anyone help me?

I have been wrestling with this one too. Very frustrating! I found a perfect fix for me, but first some background.

I use Win 7 on my laptop, and I recently changed from a netgear to an apple airport wifi router. I signed on to the wifi network using the same network name, but the computer called my connection (networkname) 2. Something was amiss. The result of the problem was that my pc would disconnect from the network, then say limited access, then reconnect on its own after a minute or so. It kept cycling through this all day - when in a hurry I would just disconnect then reconnect to the wifi network to continue onward.

A great friend walked me through this, but it all works great now - he's a tech pro.

go to the registry editor and do a search for your network name (or names if you had the same problem as me). Apparently windows had an ad-hoc network that it was not displaying for me to delete. My registry had entries for HOMENET and HOMENET 2, in my case.

Anyway, I found all references - about 4 of them - in the registry for my network names, and I deleted the registry folders that contained these two network names.

Then, I rebooted, and windows no longer had a history of my previously used network names. I just went to the network settings folder and started from scratch and re-created my wifi connection.

It worked completely. Two hours now and going strong. Before this change, I wrestled with disconnects at least 10 times an hour.

CAVEAT - this is intended for fairly knowledgeable persons - be careful playing with the registry, backup first or make sure you have system restore turned on before doing any of this.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.