Windows 7 Wireless network connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration

johnvincent

Hi guys, I've seen this is a common enough problem but havnt yet found the issue. I recently upgraded from the RC to the full release. However, since then, I've been unable to connect to my wireless network. The wired connection works without any problems, but it cannot assign an IP address to the wireless connection. I can connect to the wireless connection but it has no connectivity. is there any definitve fix for this problem? Thanks. JV

Hi guys, I've seen this is a common enough problem but havnt yet found the issue. I recently upgraded from the RC to the full release. However, since then, I've been unable to connect to my wireless network. The wired connection works without any problems, but it cannot assign an IP address to the wireless connection. I can connect to the wireless connection but it has no connectivity. is there any definitve fix for this problem? Thanks. JV

this can be either an AV or third party firewall blocking the connection, or more often it's the Network Card driver ?

can you tell us what's your NIC ?

Not exactly sure what that means. Are you seeing "Unidentified Network" or something else in the network and sharing center. Have you tried manually assigning static address values just to see if it's truly a DHCP issue? Have you tried disabling IPv6 in the properties of your wireless adapter?
Often this can be resolved by a driver update for the problem network adapter from the adapter manufacturer's website.

this can be either an AV or third party firewall blocking the connection, or more often it's the Network Card driver ?

can you tell us what's your NIC ?

In device manager Ethernet card is Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) and The wireless network card is Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN

Not exactly sure what that means. Are you seeing "Unidentified Network" or something else in the network and sharing center. Have you tried manually assigning static address values just to see if it's truly a DHCP issue? Have you tried disabling IPv6 in the properties of your wireless adapter?
Often this can be resolved by a driver update for the problem network adapter from the adapter manufacturer's website.

The syst tray is showing the warning sign over the network connection and when I click it says Unidentified Network, no internet access

Hey, thanks again for the quick replies. Much appreciated. When i try to upgrade the driver, Windows says "windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" Is there any way to manually override this?

FWIW if I disable the Ethernet card in device manager, I can connect using wireless.
If this is the case then maybe just try to run the network trouble shooter from with in the Network and Sharing Center on the Wireless Connection and see if that helps, but generally you would probably want to use one or the other and not both simultaneously.

Hey, thanks again for the quick replies. Much appreciated. When i try to upgrade the driver, Windows says "windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" Is there any way to manually override this?
Sure, open device manager, expand network adapters, right click wireless and choose update driver software, on the next page, choose, browse my computer, on the next page choose let me pick from a list, on the next page choose have disk and then browse to the location of the drivers on your PC....but again if the above is true I don't think you have a driver issue so I'm not sure I would bother

Back