Windows 7 WLAN networks not visible

ughi

Using windows 7 64bit home premium, have tried two different adapters
- A-link WNU(M) USB adapter
- ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-e adapter

Both of them seem so install correctly, no errors during install. Device manager shows them working correctly, but...
...there are no networks visible to connect.

At the same time my laptop (win7 64bit business premium or something) sees and can connect to networks. Have tried both of those adapters in XP in same computer, and there they work correctly, and show plenty of networks. 2 of mine, and many more from neighbours. Phone also can connect...so networks really exist.

I have installed latest drivers from manufacturers sites. Nothing helps.

if I try manually setup connect to wireless network, get error...
"an unexpected error occurs"

Trouble shooting wireless network gives:
"There might be a problem with the driver for the wireless..."
But when I try to resolve the issue:
"The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems"

Also updating driver "windows style" says that driver is up to date.

And it does exactly the same with 2 wireless adapters...
...dont think I need to try 3rd. Atleast ASUS PCE-N15 shold be win7 64bit compatible.

one more thing...
dont know is it has anything to do with it, but also have tried 2 different type of 3g/4g usb-modems, ZTE MF60 and Sierra Wireless AirCard 762S. Both of them install, but wont connect to the net. And give same kind of errors as those wlan adapters.
But, Huawei E169 connects on the same PC.

any ideas how to get wireless networks working???

Last edited:
Try a different channel on your wireless router (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11) if you are using channels above 11 make sure both devices were manufactured for use in Europe. Try one farthest away up or down, from the one you are currently using.
Try a different security encryption. Experiement, run the router open (none) then graduate to WEP, WPA, WPA2 if supported.

I'll try that, at this point I try anything, although I cannot see any reason why a router channel would matter.
Its now on automatic. Same thing with security, since even XP sees wireless nets, cannot connect though because WPA2.

Found somewhere that ZoneAlarm might be an issue...disabled that, and it didnt have any affect.

I'll try that, at this point I try anything, although I cannot see any reason why a router channel would matter.
Its now on automatic. Same thing with security, since even XP sees wireless nets, cannot connect though because WPA2.

Found somewhere that ZoneAlarm might be an issue...disabled that, and it didnt have any affect.
There is a chart (second image on page) here List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that suggests why channel selection might be important. If you have purchased a device on line that was intended for North American use instead of European use and your router uses channels above 11.
The fact that XP sees wireless networks is pretty irrelevant. XP has been around for a long time and the drivers available for that OS are pretty robust and relatively bug free.
And yes Zone Alarm can cause some issues and unless you are familiar with how to configure the software to support trusted devices (nodes) it may be part of the problem. It is almost impossible to completely disable and portions of it will continue to run in the background even when apparently turned off. You may want to test your system with Zone Alarm completely uninstalled after double checking and making sure that there are no remnants remaining like software related network filters in the properties of your network adapter.
Finally you may want to obtain and test an adapter from one of the top tier vendors like Linksys, NetGear or D-Link just to confirm that you are not the victim of a poorly written Windows 7 driver and or check with your Wireless Router's manufacturer and see if there is perhaps a firmware update that is more current than the one you are currently using that may address your current issue.
Regards
Randy

Tried different channels, and without encryption...no affect, still no networks available.

Completely uninstalled ZoneAlarm, had only disabled it previously...
...and after reboot...there were networks :D
Installed ZoneAlarm...and still there were networks.
It is weird though, I have ZoneAlarm in every pc I use...and never had the same problem.

but anyways...now things are how they should be, only thing is that now I have extra WLAN adapter on my hands.

Thanks Randy, I might not have uninstalled ZoneAlarm completely without Your posts

You're welcome and very glad to hear that you have the problem under control. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution the you employed to resolve your issue.
It seems, and not just with Zone Alarm but often with third party security suites, that if they are present before your networks are established and up and running, they can often prevent you doing so, especially if you are unfamiliar with some of the more intricate features. But if you have your networks up and running and install the software afterwards then the network is seen and the installation automatically compensates for it.
Anyhow, thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution the you employed to resolve your issue.

ofc I will do that, thats what keeps forums like this running...

It seems, and not just with Zone Alarm but often with third party security suites, that if they are present before your networks are established and up and running, they can often prevent you doing so...

Kinda suspected ZA, but since all other computers I tried running with different OS worked ok, didnt give it enough thought. And I remember years back adding PCMCIA WLAN card to some laptop, and then ZA asked if new hardware should be added to trusted list...now didnt get even that.

Back