Windows 7 Won't shutdown/reboot or open programs

concretepoetry

I first installed windows 7 home premium a few weeks ago, and up until a few days ago it worked fine.
Now whenever I try to shut down or reboot the system, it seems to freeze on the "logging off" screen, although the blue circular doughnut still goes round, giving the impression that it's still running.
It also seems to refuse to let some programs work although they used to work fine up until this point - iTunes and Safari seem to be at the brunt of the problem. Whenever I click on either of these they very rarely seem to work, with the loading icon on the cursor coming up, then disappearing.
I tried a system restore but this resulted in a "catastrophic error" with every date I tried to restore it back to. I reinstalled Windows yesterday and for a short period of time it worked but it has now seemed to slip back into it's old ways.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!!

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL.

There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install. I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify.

The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not

That's probably why your experiencing problems.

Sorry,. you still need to perform an upgrade.

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictue, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.

That's probably what's causing you problems.

okay. well I tried all this the first time I installed Windows 7 and it worked, this is what I don't understand. Something's altered which is causing it to play up, and the last thing I want to do is send it back for diagnostics.

Actually i need you to input the information about you hardware under the UserCP section.

Choose Link Removed due to 404 Error

I have seen comments about the DNS responder in iTunes.

Perhaps you could use the Task Manager to shutdown anything running from Apple. Processes or services and if you do shut them down, they may start back by themselves.

If it was working and then it wasn't, it was probably something that was done just before it stopped working. Try uninstalling iTunes and Safari, and it may take extra steps. Check the msconfig.exe to see if anything from Apple is starting up.

Back