Windows 10 Working on it

I am having a strange problem with my PC.

On power up the audio turns on full blast.
Then when I try to access any files in Windows Explorer I get "Working on it" message and this never goes away.
Then when I shut down the pc via shutdown menu it never powers down the pc.

Windows update gets stuck too, I just get the dots going across the screen forever.

Restarting the pc fixes it sometimes.
I have reinstalled Windows 10 but that has not fixed it.

I am having a strange problem with my PC.

On power up the audio turns on full blast.
Then when I try to access any files in Windows Explorer I get "Working on it" message and this never goes away.
Then when I shut down the pc via shutdown menu it never powers down the pc.

Windows update gets stuck too, I just get the dots going across the screen forever.

Restarting the pc fixes it sometimes.
I have reinstalled Windows 10 but that has not fixed it.
well based on what I'm reading that you even reinstalled window and the do not fix the problem one thing is for sure it's not the windows its something wrong with your computer right?

Unless it has been a Windows update that has upset things ?

I have had the hardware a good few months now and not had any problems.

Also I am not getting any error messages and the hard disks scan for errors OK.

Sorry but then to say It was doing it before and then you decided to re install windows again and he still does it?

I thought it might be Windows so I reinstalled it.
But the problem is still there.
What is odd its not every time I power up the pc.

Exactly that's what I'm trying to say is that we try to concentrate on your hardware can you tell me about you computer a little like the hardware

Last edited:
Did you do the Install over the top of the old install keeping your data or a clean install? If you did the first, the doesn't always fix problems with Windows, so if it didn't you would want to do a clean install.

Yes Windows 10 just reloaded itself keeping my old files and programs.
Windows 10 used to do a clean reload leaving personal files, not sure why this time it didn't.

To elaborate my point, if you have bad sectors on your drive and you install over it, you basically install back on to the bad sectors which doesn't fix the issue.

I just downloaded a Windows update checking program.
It found an error with my Windows update and fixed it.
I will see if this fixes the problem.

The hard drives are being scanned and no errors are found.
Also Windows isn't giving any error messages.
They are both quite new so I don't think it is the hard drives.
Oddly the original problem happens with both hard drives.

So, what you are saying is you have ruled out the hard drive? All that means is exactly that, you may have corrupt RAM or a broken CPU. Are you using beta Windows 10 or consumer Windows 10? If you don't know what this means and you just do what Windows tells you, you are using consumer. Is this a self built machine? How old is the machine? Answer as many of these questions as you can. The more we know the more we can do.

The pc has booted up 5 times now without any problems.
So it must have been the Windows update program fault that has been fixed.

Good to hear it's fixed! :up: For future reference, the next time you post a problem here, it would be helpful to provide us with hardware system specs so we can advise you better.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back