Windows 7 x64 mem usage

West

My Windows 7 build 7068, says it is only using 4.99GB out of my total 6GB of RAM. Is there any way to fix this??
Specs:
Intel core i7 920
Corsair dominator 3X2GB
ASUS P6T Deluxe

My Windows 7 build 7068, says it is only using 4.99GB out of my total 6GB of RAM. Is there any way to fix this??
Specs:
Intel core i7 920
Corsair dominator 3X2GB
ASUS P6T Deluxe
Hey... it's better than mine, I have 6gigs of RAM installed in x64 as well, but only 4 of mine are "usable". Haven't been able to figure out why.:mad:

This is completely guessing, but maybe Windows hordes RAM to use exclusively for itself, leaving whatever is left over to non-windows processes and applications, thus the "usable" (?) In which case, I'm not sure why you would have 4.99 and I would only have 4 though, if both of us have 6 installed.

Will be curious to hear an answer to this myself.

I don't think it's reserving memory for the system because on the CPU/mem monitor it says it uses like 30%of my 4.99GB at idle. My previous build 7000 never used so much memory and it also never said it was only using 5GB. Wierd

When I get home I will take a stick out and see how that affects the available/usable ratio. Next month I'll buy some more RAM, add it, and see if that does anything as well.

If you're able to take a stick out and see what it says, I'd be curious to know that as well.

I would inquire as to what slots you're using on what MoBo, but if it worked on a previous build then that's just bizarre.

Here is what my 7057 reports with 8 gigs installed.
memusage.jpg

When I get home I will take a stick out and see how that affects the available/usable ratio. Next month I'll buy some more RAM, add it, and see if that does anything as well.

If you're able to take a stick out and see what it says, I'd be curious to know that as well.

I would inquire as to what slots you're using on what MoBo, but if it worked on a previous build then that's just bizarre.

well I have the triple channel memory so I cant just take one out and i dont want to go and buy a expensive pack to test it :(

Triple Channel... riiiiiiiight

Yea, totally forgot about that (I have triple channel as well actually) :eek:

On a semi-related note, does that mean you can only add RAM in multiples of 3?!

In other words, I wouldn't be allowed to add just one, I'd have to add another 3?

Also, I just upgraded to build 7077, and mem usage still idles at 40% and 4gigs usable out of 6 installed.

Yea, totally forgot about that (I have triple channel as well actually) :eek:

On a semi-related note, does that mean you can only add RAM in multiples of 3?!

In other words, I wouldn't be allowed to add just one, I'd have to add another 3?

Also, I just upgraded to build 7077, and mem usage still idles at 40% and 4gigs usable out of 6 installed.

Right you cannot just put a stick in it's has to be 3 sticks. And why does windows 7 use more idle memory than vista??.....

So get this!!!.... Idling with no other apps or services running, Win7 uses around 40% of my memory; but when I have outlook, firefox, and windows media player running actively, it only is at 22% consumption. WTF mate!!?

Mem Issue / Boot / Question

I went into the start menu to activate all 4 processors of my Phenom 9600 under advanced boot options. While there I chose to enter my ram 4 gigs of ram on the memory aspect and after I rebooted once, went back to msconfig and changed to 5 second wait for boot didn't reboot at that time. I then went into services.msc and disabled remote registry and when I rebooted the machine lagged way down taking forever to load startups and the aero interface failed to load backgrounds and the entire machine slowled to mollases.

Once I could finally get into a start menu I entered msconfig and found to my surprise that the profile in advanced now stated 256 instead. I unchecked the memory option and rebooted and it's running fine.

MS7 x64 7707
AMD Phenom 9600
4096 MB RAM
MSI Radeon HD3870 Pro 512MB
9.4 Catalysts
Gigabyte Gama780GM S2H Ver 1.0

All things considered I'm so much happier with this OS then any others I've played with since I originally built this machine last year. My initial install is devoid of many of the continual cliff faces I've encountered playing with distros of Vista Ultimate x64.

It even found legacies for most of the hardware on my Old Prostar 4763 laptop. No Videocard driver though... shame I really have enjoyed the functionality of the WMC tv for my HD ProStick. Good thing though, the TVCenter Pro Software would install and work once, and then crash on continual restarts with draw errors. The inclusion of the WMC and so many other inline facets really make this streamlined. I thought the install was smooth and stable. Looking forward to the finished product, and learning how to tweak this thing.

Is the L2 and L3 cache already activated to full capacity or do you need to do that reg tweak from vista to activate all 2m of quadcore l2? If so does someone here have the specifics?

Thanks,
GeneralOya

I went into the start menu to activate all 4 processors of my Phenom 9600 under advanced boot options. While there I chose to enter my ram 4 gigs of ram on the memory aspect and after I rebooted once, went back to msconfig and changed to 5 second wait for boot didn't reboot at that time. I then went into services.msc and disabled remote registry and when I rebooted the machine lagged way down taking forever to load startups and the aero interface failed to load backgrounds and the entire machine slowled to mollases.

Once I could finally get into a start menu I entered msconfig and found to my surprise that the profile in advanced now stated 256 instead. I unchecked the memory option and rebooted and it's running fine.

Is the L2 and L3 cache already activated to full capacity or do you need to do that reg tweak from vista to activate all 2m of quadcore l2? If so does someone here have the specifics?

Thanks,
GeneralOya

ok yeah, I had frogoten about the whole adv boot options Ill have to check that out later today. and can you elaborate on what you did in adv boot to make the system auto change it to 256? and I have never heard about changing your L1-L3 cache, what does that do?

So get this!!!.... Idling with no other apps or services running, Win7 uses around 40% of my memory; but when I have outlook, firefox, and windows media player running actively, it only is at 22% consumption. WTF mate!!?

I finally did it, i got windows 7 to recognize my whole 6GB of ram, I cant belive it!
and also my memory usage went down to 20-24% idle (wonder if that really just means it only using 24% of my 6Gb now, or when it preivous said 4.99Gb it was still calculating the other 1.01 on the 40% usage?)
I ended up messing with a BUNCH on files in my system, but it seems like it was worked and it isnt unstable or anything like that....
if you still need help/wonder what i did just ask.

and off topic but still on the system ratings, mine says this:
Processor: 7.4
memory: 7.8
graphics: 5.9 >whats the diffrence between graphics and gaming graphics? I have a ATI 4850 1GB why this low?
gaming graphics: 6.6 >
primary had disk: 5.9

graphics: 5.9 >whats the diffrence between graphics and gaming graphics? I have a ATI 4850 1GB why this low?

I guess they're rating SLi & Crossfired cards at the high end for gaming graphics.. my HIS 3870 512 mb also got the 5.9. I'm using the AMD 780 Nb on this Gigabyte Gama780 gm s2h, but didn't realize ATI was going to limit hybridized crossfire from only the lower end cards.. damn.

In other news, I found out that the 4096 mb force setting in start-up wasn't taking into effect the 2 mb that were required for the OS, and reset it to 4094 and it worked fine without restarting at 256mb and lagging out. BUT!!! the lower then max memory setting then showed only 3.75 gigs available for use. So again unforced and all memory is available and working fine.

Ran the safe settings for Black Viper's services and also disabled a few I'll have no use for such as biometrics, smart cards, and tablets. After reading around I disable search as well since it seemed to streamline for the benefits received.

Open Office 3.0.0 installed and updated to latest java runtime however it wouldn't start after attempting to register. Removed and replaced with Microsoft Office Enterprise, and all ran fine. Installed Adobe Creative Suite and besides the warning that I didn't have the required sp's in vista or xp 64 it seems that the applications are running correct... (lot of them haven't tested them all).

As far as games I've got Crysis and Dawn of War 2 running smoothly on first try installs.

This has been the smoothest installation experience I've had and the entire system appears to be more stable and nimble then previous XP or Vista installations, especially considering I'm running the x64 model.

I'll be installing x32 on the 4764 laptop to see if I can translate the legacy usb tv tuner driver into a functional media center input.

YaY!!

So I checked out the registry entry for the l2 cache and it wasn't set so I followed the vista properties at the following link and changed to the 800 hex for my 9600 phenom l2. Seems to have increased just that much more.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

So I reset the l2 cache reg entry back to the default 0 when I attempted to run a performance monitor report.

Came back with the following error during scan

"! Unable to add these counters:

\Memory\Available MBytes
\Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use
\Memory\Cache Faults/sec
\Memory\Cache Faults/sec
\Physical Disk(*)\% Idle Time
\Physical Disk(*)\Avg. Disk Queue Length
\Network Interfact(*)\Bytes Total/Sec"

Now this is the first time I've run this since install and when I reset the registry to default I got it again.

So my question is, is the Performance Monitor function for others in "7" x64 (7077)? or is possible that one of the services I disabled (via Black Viper "safe") maybe preventing the Performance Monitor from running a complete diagnostic?
Generate System Health report is telling me that a service is stopping prematurely and I wonder if perhaps this is due to me turning off windows search...

Thanks,
General Oya

Last edited:
I finally did it, i got windows 7 to recognize my whole 6GB of ram, I cant belive it!
and also my memory usage went down to 20-24% idle (wonder if that really just means it only using 24% of my 6Gb now, or when it preivous said 4.99Gb it was still calculating the other 1.01 on the 40% usage?)
I ended up messing with a BUNCH on files in my system, but it seems like it was worked and it isnt unstable or anything like that....
if you still need help/wonder what i did just ask.

and off topic but still on the system ratings, mine says this:
Processor: 7.4
memory: 7.8
gaming graphics: 6.6 >
primary had disk: 5.9

Ok, i want to know what you did. I have the same problem, windows 7 rtm 64 bits fresh install, 6 gb memory detected and only 4 gb available.

Back