Windows 7 x64 Windows 7 BSODs... Too Many to List in Thread Title!

jmt83

I am having a problem with multiple BSODs that is driving me CRAZY! I’ve been trying, off and on, for over a year to solve this. About every two to three weeks, the PC crashes out of nowhere. At times it has gone almost three months between crashes, and at others, it has crashed more than once in the same day. This is not my computer, so I never get to see the crashes as they occur. In fact, I’ve never been able to replicate the error. All I know is that this computer has crashed about a month out of the box, and has gone down about 30 times since then. The PC in question is a Dell Optiplex 580 running x64 Windows 7 Pro, SP1. Here are some of the basic specs:

Manufacture Date: 12/29/2010
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, SP 1 (OEM install)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Motherboard: MiTAC International Corp. (Dell p/n 39VR8)
Processor: 2x AMD Phenom II X2 B55 Processor
Memory: 4GB, Non-ECC, 1333MHz DDR3 (2x2GB)
BIOS: Version A05
Hard Disk: Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s and 8MB Data Burst Cache (model no. WD2500AAJS)
Display Adapter: 256MB ATI Raedeon HD 3450
DVD/CD-ROM Drives: HL Data Storage DVD+/-RW 16x (model no. GH50N)
Network Adapters: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Sound Controllers: Realtek High Definition Audio

Power Supply: Dell 255W Model No. L255P-01 (Dell p/n T164M)

Using the Windows Debugger tool, no less than eight different stop codes (atikmdag.sys, win32k.sys, ntkrnlmp.exe, Ntfs.sys, Pool_Corruption, fileinfo.sys , win32k.sys, rdbss.sys) are shown as possible culprits. I know, I know… where to start? I have been given advice that this ranges from out-of-date/corrupted drivers, to failing memory, to bad disk sectors on the hard drive. I have approached this from each of those angles, but have come up with more questions than answers.

Here is a list of things I have done over the last few months:

· Fully updated (at least to my knowledge) all drivers
· Scanned for viruses/malware using MBAM and MSE (no evidence of malware found)
· Run full Dell Diagnostic Utility (found no RAM, HDD, or other errors)
· Stress tested drivers with Verifier.exe (have let run for up to 36 hours with no BSOD)
· Run sfc /scannow (no integrity violations)
· Run CHKDSK C: /F /R (results attached)
· Run several sessions of Memtest86 with no errors (both sticks at once, each individually, every slot)
· perfmon /report seems good (results attached)
· Used SeaTools for DOS to run diagnostic on hard drive (passed with no errors)

Everything I have checked out shows that the system is in good health, yet it’s only been 3 days since its last BSOD. I am running out of patience/ideas/options with this issue. I am still holding out hope that someone can point me in the right direction to fix this, but so far, I’ve had little to no success.

In addition to the info requested when submitting a question, I have attached a few other items, including a recent MBAM log, a sfc /scannow log, a System Internals report, the results of a CHKDSK command, a list of non-Microsoft drivers installed on the PC, and a Blue Screen View summary. Thanks in advance for all your help.

JMT83

Attachments

• BSOD_Info.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 495
It's probably nothing, but I noticed something while checking out the RAMMon report. It says that DDR3 slots 1 and 2 are empty and that slots 3 and 4 seat the RAM. This is contrary to the way the slots are numbered on the motherboard. They are numbered 4 - 1, starting at 4 (closest to the CPU) working outwards towards 1. If I am to believe Dell, then I have the memory installed in slots 1 and 2. Accourding to RAMMon, the memory is in slots 3 and 4.

That makes me wonder, could the motherboard be marked incorrectly? Does it even matter? Lets assume for just one moment that the memory really is seated in slots 3 and 4. Would that actually cause instability? I can't tell you how many times someone has looked at the bug check code and told me it was probably a memory error. Yet I can't get Memtest86 to display any actual errors. Am I grasping at straws here? Or am I potentially on to something? At this point, I am pretty much desperate for answers. Files attached...

Attachments

• Slots.jpg
    Slots.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 428
  • RAMmon.jpg
    RAMmon.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 459
Does anyone know why CPU-Z returned so little information about the graphics card on this problem PC? Someone suggested that my graphics card may be overclocking without my knowledge, but I am not getting a lot of info about it. Check the difference in data collected between my laptop and the problem PC.

Attachments

• Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 385
Turn off C1E support in Bios, disable cool n quiet, set CPU core voltage manually and disable any other power saving features. Most probably voltage, increase it in bios if needed.

I have disabled C1E and AMD Cool-n-Quiet in BIOS. I double checked to see if any power saving features were enabled in the OS, but as I suspected, everything was set to maximum performance. Still not entirely sure how to adjust the core VID (mine is set to 1.400v), but will go back into BIOS and see if I missed something. I will update you to my progress. Thanks.

So I double checked, and I guess I still need to figure out how to manually configure core VID. Neither the CPU or Power tabs in BIOS seem to have this feature. I don't think this is something I am able to do from the Catalyst Control Center either, so I'll need to see if I can figure this out. Thanks for your previous suggestions. I will try to enact the final one and observe to see if there are any more crashes.

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 417
  • power.jpg
    power.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 405
Back