Windows 7 XP Taskbar Buttons in Windows 7

JamieC

Hi Guys

I am hoping that someone will be able to help with this as it is driving me round the bend. Such a little thing but it is often the little things that make the big difference.

I have recently upgraded my laptop and now have Windows 7 after using XP for years. In general I am pretty happy and please with the new features even if they are taking me sometime to get used to.

However, with XP you could have a couple of buttons on the taskbar next to the start menu which were often useful when you had a number of windows open, in particular the desktop button/shortcut. I can't for the life of me work out how to add these to the taskbar in Windows 7, if at all possible.

If anyone knows how to do this or can catagorically confirm it is not possible then please do advise.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are wanting to do. There are a few things that may make your life easier. First, you can pin items to the taskbar which becomes a shortcut to that item. You can install the quick launch toolbar (that you had by default in XP) if that is what you are wanting - but pinning to the taskbar kinda performs the same function. You can click on the little icon to the extreme right of your taskbar (right of the clock) to minimize all open windows. You click it again to restore all open windows.

Maybe some others will pop in and give you some more suggestions.

Yes, you mean the quicklaunch which was a feature in XP. Pinning is the same thing (well almost). To pin to the taskbar open the program and right click the icon and click 'pin this program to the taskbar". Alternatively you can go into the start menu and right click on an icon there and do the same thing, or even on the desktop. So it seems like any icon you can right click and follow the same steps to have it on the taskbar.

Solution

OPTION ONE
Add Quick Launch

1. Right click on a empty space on the taskbar and click on New Tool. (See screenshot below)

2. In the Folder line, type or copy the location below. (See screenshot below)

Code:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3. Click on the Select Folder button. (See screenshot above)

4. You now have a Quick Launch toolbar on the taskbar. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: Click on the arrow to see your Quick Launch shortcuts.

5. To Expand the Quick Launch Toolbar -
A) Unlock the taskbar.

B) Left click on the dotted lines and hold, then drag it to the left or right to adjust to unhide all of the icons. Release the left click when done. (See screenshot below)

C) Lock the taskbar.
6. To Remove Quick Launch Toolbar Icon Text or Title -
A) Unlock the taskbar.

B) Right click on the Quick Launch toolbar title name, then uncheck the Show Text and Show Title by clicking on them. (See screenshot below step 5B)

C) Lock the taskbar.
7. To Have Small or Large Icons for Quick Launch Toolbar -
A) Unlock the taskbar.

B) Right click on the Quick Launch toolbar title name, then click on View and select to have Large Icons or Small Icons. (See screenshot below step 5B)

C) Lock the taskbar.
8. To Have Quick Launch Toolbar on Left Side of Taskbar -
A) Unlock the taskbar.

B) Left click on the dotted lines of the pinned taskbar programs of the left side and hold, then drag it to the right past the Quick Launch toolbar and release. (See screenshot below)

C) The Quick Launch toolbar is now on the left side of the taskbar. (See screenshot below)

D) Left click on the dotted lines of these and hold and drag them to make any adjustments to how you want them place on the taskbar. (See screenshot above)

E) Lock the taskbar.
9. Now that you have Quick Launch on the taskbar, you will need to save your current theme (step 4 at this link).
NOTE: If you make any changes to your theme, you will need to save the theme afterwards, or you will lose Quick Launch the next time you restart the computer.

10. If you have a 32-bit Windows 7, then it has been reported that you may need to turn off UAC if Quick Launch is disappearing on you after every restart.

OPTION TWO
Remove Quick Launch

1. Right click on a empty space on the taskbar and click on Toolbars and Quick Launch to uncheck and remove it from the taskbar. (See screenshot below)

That's it,

Back