Windows 7 "You Need Permission"

victorfh

Hi
I am new to the forum. I am from Belfast and work as....'not a lot' these days!

I have an 'on-going' problem with win7.....which I believe is fairly common but today is the 'final straw'.....
I create a folder on my desktop and try to move it to an external HDD....the message of 'needing permission' pops up...I am the only user
Today.....I opened a saved letter in Open Office, from an external HDD, worked on it and tried to save it as "save as".....it wouldn't let me. A pop-up says I don't have permission so had to save it to the 'default' file
I have been trying to rectify these problems through the files property/security etc but to no avail. Have searched Google but none of the solutions work.
Anybody recommend any other trails I can follow?
Thanks

It seems like your problems are with the external disk. I think you could try a simple trick to fool Windows: First, unplug your external disk, start your computer, turn it off, plug the external disk. Then change the letter of the disk. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Right click the disk icon, choose Change Drive Letter and Paths > Change > From the dropdown, choose a free letter. This may fool Windows, but I wouldn't be too certain. If it doesn't work directly, try rebooting your computer. Some people have got their computer to function by unplugging it from the main power, keeping it out for a day... bingo, it started.

+1. Are you sure you ran the Take Ownership fully? It sometimes takes a while, even to start, and it may stop, just to continue.

YOU MAY WANT to take a look here: File permissions in Windows 7 - "Take Ownership" reports success but I can't access my files

+2. Not a master in this art, but you could try right-clicking the disk icon > Share with > Advanced sharing > Advanced sharing > tick Share this folder > click Permissions > see that it says Everybody > tick Full control > click Apply and OK.

It's really a nasty problem, a lot of people are struggling with it. I did too but then, that was a torrent Windows 7. With the legal one I've had no problems. You do have a legitimate Windows? Not suggesting or suspecting, that's not the point.

As a Windows owner, you are entitled to their support. Some of it costs, some is free. But they are able to solve a vast amount of problems through Internet, and even via phone.

Best of luck. :) I'll try to figure out more of this issue.

Last edited:
Thanks Titanic.....I will try your 'thoughts' on this.
Yes, I have a 'proper' copy of Win7.....It's an 'OEM System Builder' pack from EBay. (was fully sealed etc and is a cheap way of getting a windows OS cheaply).
I tried the 'support' way.....what I thought was from M/Soft....their web site would lead you to believe anyway. I downloaded an applet so the guy could look at my system. I saw his pointer moving into areas that I had used.....he came up with the "you have some corrupted system files and some reg entries that need removing....and I can do it for $99.99"!!.....I didn't once see him moving into the properties/security of the file etc....that told me everything. He also suggested I had "some viruses", which I know I haven't.....I tested him on that by asking if a full reformat/reinstall of my OS might help!! When I declined his offer he said he would do it for $50......I asked him if he used to sell PVC windows but he didn't get it.....
Anyways, as I said, I will have a look at your suggested way and see what comes out.
Thanks a lot for your help
Victor

Thanks Titanic.....I will try your 'thoughts' on this. I tried the 'support' way.....what I thought was from M/Soft....their web site would lead you to believe anyway. I downloaded an applet so the guy could look at my system. I saw his pointer moving into areas that I had used.....he came up with the "you have some corrupted system files and some reg entries that need removing....and I can do it for $99.99"!!.....I didn't once see him moving into the properties/security of the file etc....that told me everything. He also suggested I had "some viruses", which I know I haven't.....I tested him on that by asking if a full reformat/reinstall of my OS might help!! When I declined his offer he said he would do it for $50....
I'm very sorry about that. I don't have any connections to any dubious places "offering support". I simply and plainly feel bad about it, I hope you approve my apologies. I have reported it to Microsoft. Not that I would be 100% supportive of them, but I do not accept someone to appear in the name of another.​ I find it disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom