Windows 10 You need permission to perform this action

Imageman

Extraordinary Member
Windows 10 Pro / Lenovo P910 ThinkMaster

I am an individual, no other computer users in my lab, and am set up as Administrator. I've read many posts but never get the solution.

Constantly getting the 'You need permission to perform this action'. Changing folder names, deleting folders from the desktop, and on and on. How resolve this?

Assistance very much appreciated - Best, Bob

Attachments

• Permissions.jpg
    Permissions.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 335
I would do the following
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<username>
  • Right click on Desktop and select Properties
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click on Advanced
    • The owner should be your user
      • Permissions
        • ALLOW SYSTEM Full Inherit from C:\Users<username> Applies to "This folder, subfolders and files
        • ALLOW <Username> Full Inherit from C:\Users<username> Applies to "This folder, subfolders and files
        • ALLOW Administrators Full Inherit from C:\Users<username> Applies to "This folder, subfolders and files
Most likely inheritence has been disabled, at the bottom if the bottom says "Enable inheritance" click that and the Desktop folder should inherit permissions from C:\Users\<username> like it is supposed to.

Last edited:
I would do the following
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<username>
  • Right click on Desktop and select Properties
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click on Advanced
    • The owner should be your user
      • Permissions
        • ALLOW SYSTEM Full Inherit from C:\Users<username> Applies to "This folder, subfolders and files
        • ALLOW <Username> Full Inherit from C:\Users<username> Applies to "This folder, subfolders and files
        • ALLOW Administrators Full Inherit from C:\Users<username> Applies to "This folder, subfolders and files
Most likely inheritence has been disabled, at the bottom if the bottom says "Enable inheritance" click that and the Destop folder should inherit permissions from C:\Users\<username> like it is supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom