Windows Vista Zig-Zag Screen during Windows 7 installation

casper056

I did all the necessary preliminary steps (backups, defragmented, driver updates, etc.) before starting to install Windows 7 this morning on my HP Pavillion desktop computer that has VISTA on it. Everything looked good for the install. The installation program said that my computer was good for the install, so I began. Somewhere along the line, while I was away from the computer, my Viewsonic LCD monitor changed to a blue and white zig-zag pattern. Since I wasn't sitting here when this happened, I hoped that this was just a part of the install. It's been like this for more than 30 minutes, so now I believe there must be a problem. The last time I checked, the install had rebooted my computer and I saw the Win 7 splash screen appear, then the Win 7 desktop, although it appeared that my screen resolution had changed to something much larger than my usual viewing setting. Still, it seemed as though it was continuing the install, so I left it alone and figured that when everything was done, I'd correct the settings then. I stepped out of the room for a few minutes and when I returned, I found the zig-zag screen.

I am not hearing any activity coming from my computer, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the installation is not progressing. I don't want to leave things like this indefinitely, since it's apparent that nothing is happening. I can't see the mouse on the screen and can't click on any options, since nothing is visible. I may try a control-alt-delete to see if I can stop whatever processes are running, but I doubt that doing so is going to resolve the issue. I don't know what state my system is in right at the moment, since the installation clearly didn't complete properly. That's the scary part.

Does anyone have any ideas for resolving this one? I am sort of disappointed that the installation ended up this way, since it appeared to be going so smooth.

Thanks

Zig Zag Pattern

I would check with HP. Could be a driver problem. Maybe it needs an update that's not available yet. Don't get upset , it's just a guess..... Ask to talk to a tech, not customer service.

Casper were you booting from disk or did you just put the 7 disk in the drive and click install? If the latter is the case then I'd advise booting from disk as you've already stated that you've backed up you files. You'll need to go into your bios and change the boot order to CD/DVD first and HDD second..
Here is a very simple guide: Link Removed due to 404 Error

The os that is mentioned is xp but don't worry as the process is the same for 7. Once the boot starts look out for when it say's 'press any key to start the install' (or words to that effect) Once installed you can return the bios to the way it was..

Thanks, Celestra and Kemical. After the first failure to install, I was able to get back into VISTA. Initially, start-up and shutdown were very slow, but that improved after a few restarts. Windows Advisor keeps pointing to 2 incompatible programs (Google and Logitech Messenger Webcam), which I have uninstalled. Even after doing so, Advisor still suggests removing them. Next, I removed any lingering registry files for each program, but I haven't tried re-installing just yet. I thought that booting from the DVD was only if you intended to wipe your hard drive? I've been putting the disk in and clicking the setup manually. I'm trying to Upgrade so that my present settings, etc. will be restored during the install.

I should note here that I tried to install again after the first failure and at first I got a pop-up that said that a file that needed to be written was already present and could not be deleted, so the install stopped a second time. I found the file, but decided NOT to delete it manually. I tried a third time and the message did not reappear. This time I sat right in front of my computer to watch everything that was happening. As you know, there are 5 steps in the install. It cleared the first 2 and was working on the third. A text message started to blink that said that my computer needed to reboot. This went on for several minutes, then suddenly the computer began to reboot, as I expected it was going to do. What I didn't expect was that as soon as it rebooted, it attempted a boot from the DVD. The screen resolution changed and everything got bigger. The installation window reappeared, but instead of resuming where it left off, the window returned to the original install window. Just then a pop-up window said something to the effect that I had left a disk in the drive during reboot. . .remove the disk and reboot again. It sounded good, however, there isn't anyway you can manually reboot during the install. Still, I removed the DVD and waited. . .and waited. Nothing happened. The cursor was frozen and obviously the install had once again stopped. I had to use the power button again to shut down and then to start up. When the computer came back on, a message said that the installation had failed (one more time) and the system was going to roll back to VISTA, which it then did. Once VISTA came back online, I did more research online and figured that those two programs were possibly a big reason for the failure to install. That was when I applied some more aggressive means to remove all traces of them from my computer. Google was a tough one to find, since Google and Picassa, which I had installed, are one and the same. Google is also tagged to RealTime Player and so I dumped that as well. I'm not 100% sure that I got everything, but I am likely a step closer. If it didn't take so long for Win7 to install, I would try it again now, but after working all day (at a computer), I can't deal with spending another evening doing this again. That's why I will probably wait until the weekend to try again. I've upgraded all of my drivers, saved by bookmark files and browser settings and done two separate back-ups to external drives among other things. I'm not too concerned about program loss, if there are any, since the installation files for everything on my computer are on back-up drives. It would be a big pain to have to reinstall everything, but I guess I could if I needed to. I know that a clean install is preferable to merely upgrading, but I guess Im trying to take the easy way. Did I say "easy"?? Obviously, it hasn't been easy so far. LOL!!

In my occupation, which includes Graphics, Typography, Layout, Design and Prepress, I've worked on Windows PC's for about 25 years and MAC's for close to 15 years. I've learned a few things about what's in the box here and there along the way, but I would only consider myself to be an amateur when it comes to the serious Tech stuff. I'm knowledgeable enough to be somewhat of an IT person where I work, but that's mainly because I follow good information sources and because I am fairly comfortable around computers. The Internet is also be a great source for info and assistance. Sooner of later, I know that, with some help, I will resolve this latest challenge. It has been somewhat annoying, but I do love a challenge and I always welcome input from others. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Fixed !!!!

hey i had the same exact issue, i was on the phone alot with hp and one smart rep told me that it is my graphics card and its not strong enough to work with windows 7 so i had 2 options, either get a stronger graphics card or learn how to overclock my current one and make it more powerful. needless to say i didnt want to purchase a new one so i tried the overclocking method and next thing i knew it WORKED, once i overclocked ity and tried reinstalling windows 7 it finished the installation without any problems. Good luck to you.

Thanks Kivi,
I had a strong feeling that the graphics card was the sore spot. My HP Pavilion's video specs are:
Name NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D0&SUBSYS_2A5A103C&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&0&68
Adapter Type GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version 7.15.11.7521
INF File oem65.inf (nv_NV3x section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1680 x 1050 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFB000000-0xFBFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xFC000000-0xFCFFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 20
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
(7.15.11.7521, 7.12 MB (7,465,312 bytes), 5/22/2008 9:49 PM)

I haven't looked in the box, but I assumed that I have a real PCI card in there and not something integrated. Still, I have found conflicting spec data on my computer in this regard, which is why I started wondering if my graphics are integrated and whether or not they can handle Windows 7. I read that if I have integrated graphics, I can still add a PCI Graphics card, but then need to adjust the jumpers. I'm a little rusty in this area, so that's why I haven't rushed out to get a new card. I also haven't been able to get any advice on the type of graphics card that my HP can handle, based upon it's power supply. Chances are that I would also need to replace the power supply too. Frankly, I don't know anything about over clocking, so that is probably not an option for me right now.

I do appreciate the input however. Everyone's comments are helpful.

Hi Casper,
I'm pretty sure they are integrated graphics as I recognise the chipset.. As long as you've got a PCIE slot then you will be able to fit a new card. I wouldn't worry about changing jumpers although you might have to go into the bios and turn off the integrated hardware...Sometimes this isn't the case though as once a card is fitted it over-rides the integrated stuff by default. As for power supplies ect.. It depends on what card you want to go for.. If your system runs a smallish chip then getting a monster card is pointless as your system wouldn't be able to cope with the huge stream of info and a 'bottleneck' would form.
If you use this app here Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management it should be able to tell you much of what you need to know.. As for the PSU, you might have to peek inside to find it's wattage.
If you can post as much info then I'll be able to point you in the right direction..
Or if your HP has a model number then we could perhaps find it on the HP site?

Thanks for the info, Kemical. That was very helpful. Here's the specs on my HP:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model RX887AAR-ABA a6030n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 2500 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.27, 6/10/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.18 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.27 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.29 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.60 GB
Page File Space 4.20 GB

I'm pretty sure that I have an open slot. The back of my computer is a virtual snake pit at the moment, so I don't want to venture in there right now, but I will before heading out to get a new card. I don't know if my computer has PCI-E slots, but the odds are there may be a PCI slot that's open. I'll be sure the check the PSU for the wattage too. I guess the first thing I need to know is what sorts of cards my computer can easily accommodate. Thanks again for you help.

Hi Casper, if you check my screenshot you'll see that you can get everest to create a report on your pc...or.. check this web page and tell me which pc is yours..

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks..:)

Excellent! Thanks for that.

Here's the motherboard spec':

You'll see from the above page and from the screenshots that you do indeed have a PCIE slot.

Concerning your power supply.. This page here tells you where to look to find where the output is written: (see screenshot)

So depending on your power output it will be no problem running a graphics card.. Let me know what you find and we can go over the options.. :)

Back