Windows 7 6 channel audio not working acer 8930G

nickc25

Hi
I have a full version of windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Before, I had windows vista home premium 32 bit. I have installed windows 7 and everything works fine.

I have an acer 8930G laptop and the only problem I am having is the acer arcade only recognises it as 2 channel audio when it should be 6 channel audio as the speakers are built in 5.1 surround sound. It is a realtek high definition audio device, if I use those drivers from them in windows it only lets me select 2 channel audio, but if I use the acer drivers it works in windows but NOT in acer arcade deluxe. As a result, watching blu ray films is very poor. I am seriously thinking going back to vista because I have been trying to resolve this for 2 days now, does anyone else have this problem or have had this problem? Really need a solution.

Cheers

What I'm seeing on google seems to indicate that your waiting for a new version of Acer Arcade Deluxe for 7.
You could ( this is conjecture based on what i've just read) uninstall Arcade Deluxe and reinstall it in compatibility mode but that would be at best risky and at worst impossible just a thought but I do see it for download so it must be able to be installed separately.

Why are you unable to play blue ray content in windows media center or another app? Is this an HDCP issue of some sort?

What I'm seeing on google seems to indicate that your waiting for a new version of Acer Arcade Deluxe for 7.
You could ( this is conjecture based on what i've just read) uninstall Arcade Deluxe and reinstall it in compatibility mode but that would be at best risky and at worst impossible just a thought but I do see it for download so it must be able to be installed separately.

Why are you unable to play blue ray content in windows media center or another app? Is this an HDCP issue of some sort?

Hi
I have tried to play blu ray movies in windows media but it says unknown disk... I do not really like the acer arcade (its power dvd in another form though) but it seems its the only one that wil play blu ray films.

I have 5.1 working in windows and all speakers work fine, but when I put the arcade on it switches to 2 channel audio, been trying to sort it for 4 days now and I cannot get around it. I have installed the windows 7 drivers for realtek hd sound but they are actually worse than the vista drivers because at least the vista drivers enable me to select 5.1 speakers, the windows 7 drivers let me only choose 2 channel audio.

I cannot find anyone that has an acer 8930G (thought it was a popular laptop?!) with windows 7 so I am a little lost really. If I can find either that or another blu ray player I would be ok really, cheers for replying.

Yes I am the second user of the 8930...! and I've got no sounds ! any clue?
Thanks
The problem is not having sounds, I get surround sound working fine but just not with acer arcade. Probably just because its not out for windows 7 or any form of 64 bit system. I also have not done any updates for it because any update totally ruins it and makes blu ray movies not play at all! I now have arcsoft theatre 3 and it plays really well with full surround sound.

I have 1000GB of storage on my laptop so I think I will just download movies in HD and watch from that because it will save money buying blu ray and not having to keep the disks etc. They are pretty cheap to download too.

8930G blu ray problems after update

Hello,

I bought my 8930G in April, and since installing an automatic update 2.1.6010 my BD has been disabled! So please DO NOT download update. Acer technical support have been extremely poor, not acknowledging any issues, or taking any responsibility. If you google 'blu ray problems 8930G', you'll find lot's of disgruntled customers who had problems with sound, and other issues, and have reverted to buying third party BD software such as powerdvd 9 or Arcsoft 3 BD software.

I'm still trying to sort the issue out with Acer - i'm not holding out for a positive result. When you bear in mind how much these high end machines cost, i think it's appaling that Acer don't provide good software to match. These are not new issues, and when i see how many unsatisfied Acer customers there are around the world, i wish i'd never bought what on the face of it appeared to be an excellent notebook, with excellent reviews. Poor show Acer - i'll never buy another one of your machines again. If other folk have any solutions, i'd be grateful. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jazzymazzy

8930G, T5800 4GB Ram 320HDD Blu Ray Nvidia Geforce 9600M

Last edited:
Hi,

Further to my previous posting, the update 2.1.6010 indicates audio decoder is 6 channel. Acer technical support have advised me to reformat my hard drive which i am unwilling to do. Acer seem to think that reformatting the hard drive is a panacea to all technical issues. I vehenemently disagree. My player was functioning perfectly well before the update from Acer. Acer will not acknowledge whether there are any known issues with the update. I believe the onus is on them to acknowlegde there is a problem, and to offer a patch/solution on their website. I cannot contact their software support on a premium rate line, as call barring prevents this on my landline.

Other customers who have reformatted their hard drives are faced with a re intallation of an inferior 2 channel audio decoder, and if as Nick above, indicates that this results in poor BD playback, then this is simply not a viable option for me. The update may render my player unfit for purpose.

The saga continues...

Jazzymazzy.

Take a look a November 2009 issue of PC Pro, in an article entitled ' Crapware exposed' by Mike Jennings, who lists Acer's Arcade Deluxe as ' largely of poor quality...a low rent version of Windows media player'. Coupled with Acer Gamezone, Jennings observes that the preinstalled software '...had a disatorous effect' on an Aspire 5536's start up time. He remarks '...Given that most of the software was barely worth the time of day... Acer is doing it's customers few favours by preloading this package on it's PC's'

Further evidence of shoddy and inferior software, that we the customers are having to pay for, and live with the consequences with when things go wrong. Poor show Acer, poor show indeed!!

Jazzymazzy

Finally, after getting QVC to escalate my issue to head office at Acer, a technician kindly called me back, as premium rate numbers are barred from my landline, so i couldn't call Acer anyway. Within the space of a few hours, we acertained that the Acer arcade deluxe files were indeed corrupt. I had tried to update the software with a new update, to no avail. The technician explained that the only known issue with Arcade Deluxe was a conflict with Norton which thought that Arcade deluxe was a trojan. I'd not noticed anyone coming across this issue.

Reluctantly i agreed to reformat my hard drive - only to find an error message stating 'restore failed'. The helpful technician, kindly called me back the next day, and informed me that there were obvious problems with my hard disc, and that i would need to return it to Acer, to be re-imaged. At least we had got to the root of the problem.

So i'm faced with returning my machine to Acer. Was it all worth it? Well, had QVC not escalated the situation, i don't think Acer would have got in contact with me. I'm not happy that i've got a faulty machine. As for Acer technical support over the past 5 weeks in trying to resolve this - absolutely appaling! They should be ashamed of themselves. I could simply have purchased third party software like other unfortunates, however having paid premium rates for a high end machine, (and still being in warrenty), i believe the software should be fit for purpose, and not inferior and second rate, certainly from my experience. An excellent macine, but poorly designed software and support (unless you're prepared to challenge them).

Jazzymazzy

Hello everyone,

I have similar problem as nickc25. I've been using Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and sound on my Acer Aspire 8930G was excellent. I had an option to choose either stereo sound or 5.1. surround. Few days ago I've made a clean install of Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), updated my audio driver, but when I try to configure it, it offers me just stereo sound, as shown on picture below.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Here's what is says in System Information:

Name NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0006&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1000\4&29279FCD&0&0201
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda32v.sys (1.0.0.59, 65,03 KB (66.592 bytes), 21.8.2009. 20:24)

Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0889&SUBSYS_10250145&REV_1000\4&29279FCD&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 297,00 KB (304.128 bytes), 14.7.2009. 1:51)

Any advice would be well appreciated, cheers!

Acer 8930 with Dolby fix

use the vista folders ie empowering tech, and real tech high defination audio in vista mode. after install and restart go to that little pointy thing on the right hand side of your task bar click and you will see the realtek speaker click it and go into Acer audio manager (looks the same as the vista one because it is the vista one) set up your 5.1 speaker settings.

Something that Acer support does not tell there EX CUSTOMERS. Do this with all the other acer products that you have issues with. As for me i'm loving my 64 bit HP. I can't comment on the Acer Arcade (never liked it so i removed it or blueray (i download and use divx) ) But everything on my 8930 works. But the 8930 is definitely not built for win 7

Only 3 gig showing as usable and had to edit start up programs using msconfig in start tab (life's to short). it looks pretty but i never had any problems with Vista i just like how 7 looks not how it works with Acer (although my hp works great with it and it and at amazeing speed even though it's lowers speck.

sorry for the ramble.

Just a quick note

I have tried to play blue ray movies in windows media but it says unknown disk

WMP cannot play Blue-rays,. I have Cyberlink HD Blue ray player.

The only other one that comes to mind ids the latest Bloated Nero.

Acer 8930 with Dolby fix

Ok so i have surround sound, big whoop, but i can't run my CS4 master collection and other products and looking into taskmanager my Acer looks like it's going to pass out. I'm reinstalling Vista, it's what the 8930 can handle, unless Acer hands out some serioues updates (Ha) the 8930 will be a Vista machine, with 7 it ran oh so slow, this is not 7's fault it's just that not every PC is built to handle 7 at the moment. Live long and drink milk :)

Back