Windows 7 7 won't recognize printer

wt.pm

I am using a lexmark x1200 printer, attached to a dell optiplex desktop. I used this printer with xp no problem. I installed 7, and it says no printer attached. I downloaded the newest driver from lexmark (for vista), tried to install, the install program from lexmark can't find the printer. However if I shutdown and reboot into xp, (dual boot same machine), I can print. So I know it's in 7. Because it takes 5-6 minutes to reboot into xp (see other post about shutting down issues), I donwloaded the xp mode, and virtual programs. I then virtual boot into the existing xp partition (I think, it looks the same, icons and such) anyway it still won't recognize the printer being attached. Again reboot into xp, and start printing. So there is something about 7 that won't let it, or the virtual xp see the printer.
I have tried to update all drivers related to the printer, I have checked the device manager, it is not listed, nor can I find it. Add printer function searches for 10 minutes, no printer found. Same with add hardware, printer does not exist. Not even when installing using the compatibility wizard.
HELP!!!!!!! PLease, I have to print things daily, I am waiting to late in the day, so I only have to reboot once a day. Unless I have to have something immediately, then there is two reboots. (Of course one reboot actually involves, going to xp, then back to 7, so technically two reboots).

What happens when you disconnect the printer and re-connect it?

If you're using a USB device, I'd expect it to detect the printer, even if no drivers can be found.

I have a Brother Hl-5150D (laser) and HP Photosmart 8250 (inkjet). I install the Vista drivers, but don't plug in the printer during the install process. (For the 8250, that requires checking a box so that the driver installation will complete without the printer.) I then connect the printer, and the printer is installed using the newly installed drivers.)

Bobkn, that is the way I am doing it, same way I have always done it. It is usb, however plugging and unplugging, does nothing. Neither does unplugging and replugging the power cord. Everything else works, just not the printer. Except the mouse, and I have to use a ps/2 plug with it. But, I have to do that with xp also. So I don't think that makes a difference. I have upgraded all the usb drivers and everything else, I can think of.

It appears that you have a problem with your USB drivers in Win7.

Is everything OK in Device Manager?

You could try the latest Intel chipset drivers. ( They are backwards compatible with older chipsets. I don't recall that Dell ever made an AMD based Optiplex machine, but you'd want to check first.) The latest I've seen are:

Intel Chipset Software Installation 9.1.1.1015 WHQL download from Guru3D.com

You may wish to expand these (I'd use the free 7zip), and launch the installer with the -overall switch. (See the readme.txt.)

No guarantees that'll fix things, but it did install new USB drivers on my system (with an Intel X58 chipset).

Last edited:
On my MSI K8T NEO motherboard only 4 of the 8 USB ports work with W7. Try your printer in different ports and see if it will work in another one.

I've tried to get it At MSI. Mine is the K8T-800 Chipset. The only USB driver available to download is for Win 98SE. It says for xp get it from Windows Update and doesn't even mention Vista or W7. That's what I get for having an outdated Mo/bo.

Someday some younger family members will stop relying on me and I'll be allowed to update my computer. It's driving me crazy using this old single core system.

Maybe the VIA website is worth a try though.

Last edited:
That software from the VIA site doesn't want to install. It says "the install wizard can't find the proper component for the current platform". There was nothing for W7 so I tried the one for Vista. Sometimes they work.

I've tried to get it At MSI. Mine is the K8T-800 Chipset. The only USB driver available to download is for Win 98SE. It says for xp get it from Windows Update and doesn't even mention Vista or W7. That's what I get for having an outdated Mo/bo.

Someday some younger family members will stop relying on me and I'll be allowed to update my computer. It's driving me crazy using this old single core system.

Maybe the VIA website is worth a try though.

There wouldn't be separate USB drivers for OSes newer than 98se.

I haven't used a mainboard with a Via chipset since my Asus A8V Deluxe. (K8T800 Pro chipset, from 2004. AGP graphics.) Sorry that the chipset package didn't install for you.

I've been using Intel mainboards the past few years. Six months ago, to install the chipset drivers, I had to extract them (7zip) and run setup.exe in compatibility mode to bypass the OS checking. (I don't recall the details; newer versions of the installer run OK under Win7.) Maybe something similar would work with the latest Via drivers.

Back
Top Bottom