Windows 10 A Plug for TODO backup!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

A little over a half hour ago I was playing Tomb Raider 2013 and my power went off.
After only a few seconds it came back on, but when I tried to boot my computer it wouldn't boot.
I got a message that my computer needed to be repaired.

I put in the Windows DVD and tried to do a repair but I got what seems to be the usual message for me, We couldn't repair your computer.

Just by luck, I happened to have made a system image today, I make one every couple of weeks, it only takes about 12 minutes.

I put in my, EaseUS TODO backup and recovery disk in my DVD drive, (I used the Windows PE version this time I usually use the Linux one) and I started the recovery.

I had the option to only restore the boot sector (I should have tried that, it does that part in just a few seconds) but I opted to restore the entire drive.

It took 23 minutes, that's longer then when I use the Linux disk, but at the end of that time my computer booted up and everything is back to normal.

I'd just like to put in a little plug for EaseUS TODO backup and recovery.
It's a free backup program that I've used for several years.

Since I started testing Windows 10 I've used it to restore my computer 8 times counting today and it's worked every time.

It's fast, and very easy to use, in fact it really only takes about 3 clicks to make a full system backup.
Restoring is easier with the Linux version of the recovery boot disk, in my opinion.

If anyone is looking for a reliable Free, backup program it's worth giving it a try.

EaseUS Todo Backup software for data backup and recovery in Windows PC & Server.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've played with the incremental backup part of the program for my Win10 backup workshop, and I liked it. I hope to give the Image Cloning portion a try this month, mostly because you recommended it. As you recall, I've already done comprehensive testing on both Macrium Reflect & Acronis True Image. What will be interesting to see, is whether or not the restored image will work with the E-mail and Contacts in WLM (Windows Live Mail); this does not work in any Image Clone program including Macrium & Acronis even with their new versions that incorporate and work with Win10. That would certainly be a bonus for many of us WLM users. I've already mentioned in my Workshop that you've used it (TODO) with great success, but I haven't personally tested it.

For anyone else reading this, it's certainly worth looking into!

Good post!

Best, ;)
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi

I don't see any reason that an System Image file wouldn't backup your email as long as it's all on drive C\:

It basically just copies the whole dive, boot sector and all, and when you restore it, it restores the drive, or partition back to exactly the way it was when you backed it up.

I've kind of ignored the incremental aspect, and just make a new System Image every few weeks, or immediately after making any major change.

With my new SSD it only takes 12 to 15 minutes to make the backup.

I always keep the last three in case something gets corrupted and goes wrong.
I've had that happen with Acronis when I needed it most, but that was a long time ago.

I only backup my C:\ drive and none of my software, games or data is on it, just my Windows installation..
This makes it easy and quick to do, and I can't lose anything even if I fry the whole drive.

Mike

Hay Mike,
Do you also find the idea that having a backup (tested and works) takes much of the stress out of your computer using?

Hi Norway.

I do, I feel like I can just go ahead and try anything without a lot of worrying, but I'm not one of those people who makes a backup and then uses it immediately to see if it works. I've gotten myself in trouble too often doing things that didn't need to be done. LOL

But now that I've used my current backup it will go into protected status, i'll keep it until I have to use a newer one, just in case I have problems.

In the past I've used Acronis, and the one that Norton makes but when I found TODO, I stuck with it, not just because it's free, but because it's so easy to use.

To tell the truth, some of the others had so many settings and stuff to set that I was confusing (the Norton one in particular) both making and restoring them.

The EaseUS, (typical name for a Chinese company) one is so simple that anyone could use it, and it makes it's own bootable repair disks, in either Linux or Windows PE format in the Tools section.

TODO%20Backup_zpsjfuvzbtd.jpg

All you have to do is click the system backup button.
You tell it where to save them during the setup process.

And it's FREE!

Just what an old cheapskate like me needs.

The main thing is, if everyone would just make a system image file of their C:\ drive it would save a lot of people a lot of hassle.

They probably should have a sticky on every tech forum telling people, "Make A System Image File"

Mike

Last edited:
The main thing is, if everyone would just make a system image file of their C:\ drive it would save a lot of people a lot of hassle.

They probably should have a sticky on every tech forum telling people, "Make A System Image File"

Mike

Very good idea Mike

I have been using Macrium for years and am happy with it (free as well) but thought I would give ToDo a go and it looks very similar to Macrium.
I will let you know how it goes when I need to do a restore.
Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom