Windows 7 All Programs Empty

Sunsoar

Ok the story is this,
I did an upgrade from Vista to windows 7 (yeah I know but I couldn't be stuffed in re-installing everything) anyway all was smooth until I looked at all programs and it's empty.

So the question is how do i fix it, I guess the first part is how do I unlock all the protected system folders that have a padlock on them so I can manipulate the data.

If I do a search for something that was in the programs menu like EVGA it is located and looks like the folder it's in is Programs(2).

I did test by creating a new user to see if it was my main user and the 2nd account has the same problem, so it's effecting Default user.

I can see all the shortcuts at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs so were in the Registry do I set this as the programs path string or something.

Any Ideas ?
cheers

Last edited:
I am also having this problem. i am able to replace the default user start menu(after changing the permissions). But after that i have two problems.

1. It shows a few of my start menu programs after this is done. but that is i only get a fraction of what is really there.

2. The few that i do get showing only stay there for a small amount of time. it seems that if i make ANY changes to my file system(IE renaming something, moving) it all goes away.

I have build 7077 of technet

Is this some sort of Regedit thing.

Thanks!

So the question is how do i fix it, I guess the first part is how do I unlock all the protected system folders that have a padlock on them so I can manipulate the data.

What is it that you want to manipulate in these "locked" folders?

If I do a search for something that was in the programs menu like EVGA it is located and looks like the folder it's in is Programs(2).

The Programs(2) directory was created because you did an upgrade. It is of no use now. The correct files are located in the C:\Program Files directory.

You can safely delete the (2) folder.

MS has issued a 'fix' yesterday for the problem with Security/folder permissions; if you don't have Windows Update set to automatically download, then do a 'check updates' - you'll probably find an update waiting there. This will 'fix' the problem. :)
progress.gif

I just downloaded and installed the patch although I wasn't expensing any problems at all.

Ya know it seems to be a problem with the number of items/folders limit - if you create another folder(s) and organize the 'programs' directory everything is fine!!!!

easily fixed, left click on start button, right click on all programs, click on open, right click on the "Programs" folder in the opening explorer, click on properties, when that opens up, set the folder and all subfolders to "Hidden".
wallah!! all proggies are back on the start menu

:D

Back