Windows 7 Another startup repair loop problem

DoctorRobert

I'm stuck at this screen. Starting Windows normally sends me back, and startup repair "can not fix this computer automatically". Choosing the other modes sends me back as well. I don't have a restore point, and I don't want to reinstall windows and lose all my files for a 2nd time in just a few years. Is there a way to transfer them to another computer or external hard drive at this point? Also, when I go into command prompt it says X:\Windows\System32 and not C: - I assume there's something wrong there

Depends what you mean by "all my files." If you are referring to user data you may copy the entire contents of your user folde to and external drive, plus any other data you may have stored on the C drive prior to running a full system recovery/reinstall, creating a User exactly as previously then copying the user file contents back. If you are referring to installed software then you will lose that and will need to reinstall them.

Yeah, I just want the personal files. My old external died a while ago so I don't have anything backed up. How can I get them if I can't get past the startup screen? And why does the command prompt say X instead of C?

X: is the RamDisk used to run the repair, and is normal.

When you say other options, the problem occurs in Safe Mode also? Last know good configuration does also not help...

Do you have an Install DVD you could boot to?

No, everything I choose, it sends me back to the startup screen. My computer only came with a Drivers and Documentation disc, but I copied System Recovery onto 2 discs when I hooked it up. If I use it, am I going to lose my files? That's my main concern. I don't know how much information you need, but searching my problem I've seen similar posts with Problem Signatures; and Error Code = 0x0

If you ever need the Install DVD with SP1 included, go to the link and download.

Link has been changed....

When you try a startup repair, exactly what happens? Normally, you might see a message about repairing something with a reboot suggested. The first time you can agree, but if it happens again, ignore it and continue with the repair. If it says it cannot find an install, go ahead anyway.

There may be many different types of causes, but if you are not getting any bootmgr missing errors or OS missing errors, that part is probably OK. When it gets all the way to the Starting Windows and Logo, it is usually some type of driver situation. Have you installed anything new?

Some updates were just done probably today... those could be related. But the reason we start in safe mode is the system starts in a basic mode. Third party drivers are not loaded, so if that doesn't work, it seems it would be caused by an essential part of the install.

Right now, if you cannot think of a new device or a driver that was added for it, all I might suggest is you boot to the install DVD and run a chkdsk and a system file check from the offline state. Maybe that would correct something and allow you to get back into Windows.

How to Run the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) Offline in Windows 7 and Vista - The Winhelponline Blog

Last edited:
When I do startup repair I get "can not repair this computer automatically. Do you need me to give you the Problem Details and Diagnosis and Repair Details? The last thing I did before this happened was scan my computer for malware because I had the Browse2Save program and couldn't get rid of it. I'm sure I checked off something to be deleted that I shouldn't have.

Is that first link right? It redirects me to the homepage of that site.

Last edited:
If personal data is most important I'd first ensure the personal data is backed up. If you can see any external media from the command prompt then you could navigate to the users folder on drive C and execute the xcopy command to copy all files and subfolders to external media. If there is no access to external media from command prompt then I'd remove the drive and connect it up to another pc to copy the data across.

The link appears to have changed, I will have to check further... Maybe there is another one.

Does the anti-virus program keep a log, and what program do you use?

Here is another link, which seem to point at the exact file on Digital River. I have not tried the links, so cannot verify if they work or how long they will be available.

http://techdows.com/2011/07/downloa...h-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html

Last edited:
Well I'm not too sure how to use command prompt.

I use Norton 360, pretty sure it keeps a log.

Needless to say it's pretty frustrating not knowing what to do, especially when it seems like I have a few problems here

Last edited:
It looks like I have to do one of these options because our other computer doesn't support DVDs to burn the Install program.

Let's see what else can go wrong here.

If personal data is most important I'd first ensure the personal data is backed up. If you can see any external media from the command prompt then you could navigate to the users folder on drive C and execute the xcopy command to copy all files and subfolders to external media. If there is no access to external media from command prompt then I'd remove the drive and connect it up to another pc to copy the data across.

It looks like I have to do one of these options since our other computer doesn't support DVDs to burn the Install program.

Let's see what else can go wrong here.

Back
Top Bottom