Any Ubuntu users around here?

Yeah! Get Ubuntu you 2 could look like this

Link Removed due to 404 Error Cool :D

Are they Bill's class mates?

No Bills well hard :DLink Removed due to 404 Error

""If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."
"Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google."
"unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep" - my daily unix command list
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." - Robert Firth
"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."
"The more I C, the less I see."
"To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password."
"After Perl everything else is just assembly language."
"If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.""​

Last edited:
Your turn

Link Removed due to 404 Error

lol!

Sorry me bad:D Have used Ubuntu its ok still prefer Windows :D

Last edited:
I use Ubuntu since 6.04 now it is 9.04 and traing Windows 7 as dual boot aside of Ubuntu I think that if we talk of Virtual it is more logic to put Windows 7 into Ubuntu to keep malware out of win 7."It took 5 minute to have 5 spy ware in my win 7 !!!!:(:(
I have 8.10 on another HDD, dual boot via MBR with Vista and it was very stable but since installing Windows 7001 onto the Windows HDD I can't get the MBR to function, can't run bcdedit.exe and can't find the Boot file!!
Any help very welcome - David in Norfolk UK

I have 8.10 on another HDD, dual boot via MBR with Vista and it was very stable but since installing Windows 7001 onto the Windows HDD I can't get the MBR to function, can't run bcdedit.exe and can't find the Boot file!!
Any help very welcome - David in Norfolk UK

Your place to look for help is: Ubuntu Forums
Y. Santo Domingo DR

Linux Rocks

Hey all,

I also like how in Ubuntu you can see/access all the other partitions you have setup within your HDD. You can do anything to the files just as you would do within a Windows OS. That being said it is kinda sketchy though how you can access/modify your windows system files within Ubuntu too, I don't think that's a very good feature to have enabled. Especially for beginners to Linux.. On the other side of this, it's kinda odd how you can't see the chunk of HDD that has Ubuntu setup on it from within Windows... well at least I can't see it on my main comp.. But I'm guessing that's probably because Linux uses the "free space" of a Hard Drive to setup it's own partition and so on. Not a big deal, just an oddity I thought.

:)
I use Ubuntu 8.10, KDE and Gnome Environment, 9.04 Kde and Gnome, Puppy Linux on old laptops, Windows Vista:frown:, And Staight up Debian.

I love all Linux. I just put RC7 on one of my destops and it reminds me of Kubuntu . I like it alot so far... The best thing about a RC version is that it does not have alot of crap programs installed on it. that really helps things move well. as soon as this is a distro sent out with new pcs it will be just as crappy as the rest because of all the third party software jammed in the machine i.e. aol, norton and all the other crap.

now to get to my quote response.

if you run just about any linux distro from a live cde on any computer you can access anything you want. like your girlfriends/wifes stored emails, boss's quick book tax records. or anything else you want. this is all done without any record of ever even turning that pc on.. Low tech hackers dream:D

Don't ever store anything on any computer that you don't want other people to see. Unless you are using LINUX Ha ha

Take control of your life

Don't usually like others to choose what my pc can and cannot do.
Thay is why I use Linux!

I recently downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 but I haven't installed it yet. The problem is I lost the hard drive that I used to run Ubuntu distros on. My W7 install is on a Raid1 drive. I have a partition on that drive that I have considered installing Ubuntu on but I have doubts as to whether it will install on a Raid drive. It has always read my Raid as being 2 separate drives in the past. Does anybody know if it will install correctly or not?

I would try to find this in the Ubuntu Forum but I really suck with command line operation and the info I get in that forum always just confuses me. I tried to find the answer to this question there already but as usual I couldn't find my answer. Is there someone here who could just answer yes or no?

I've been using Ubuntu exclusivly for almost a year. I upgraded to 9.04 and I love it. it has a learning curve with command line but it's much more efficient for software installations, i never have hardware problems (i even built my own box from self-selected parts and everything works great). The support community i find much better. I've also tried Fedora 10 and OpenSuse 11.1 but Ubuntu is my primary OS because of the avalabiliy of software, updates and support.

stick with Windoze you guys.
Have you seen micro$oft's stock price lately? Log on to Bloomberg.com.
Bill needs your support.

Ubuntu is excellent for a Linux user, not a developer

Personally, I think that Linux is excellent for a user. It is a small distribution, which doesn't matter much these days except for when you need to download it off of the Internet. I installed Ubuntu for my parents, and they didn't like it when they had to enter in the Wireless WEP Key once, but after that, they didn't complain too much.

They recently purchased an HP Officejet 6500 Multipurpose printer, and having to install it was quite a hassle for them, and all of the functionality of the printer was not installed because HP doesn't support linux like they should. CUPS is nice to make sure that you can print, but nothing beats Windows in terms of the compatibility.

I also had a problem trying to upgrade Ubuntu 8 to Ubuntu 9. It didn't work on the first, second, third, or even fourth try. I eventually got it installed, but the process should have been more seamless. Especially the way the Linux kernel is set up, it should not be that hard of a task.

That being said, I personally do not like Ubuntu because it does not contain all of the programming languages, compilers, development tools that I need and grow accustomed to where using Slackware. For a user, you would never miss it, but being a developer it really is a hindrance on your productivity when you start out. You can always download the packages, but why not put it on the image if everyone has the space on their hard drive anyways?

Ubuntu 9.04

I had no trouble with Ubuntu recognizing devices. I am totally amazed at all the features/software.
It is fun working with all the free software. Samba does work to network the windows machines.
What a fast system running linux.

I was really happy to run Windows 7 on the same machine. I have avoided the partitioning with separate hard drives... Like a previous post, the nightmare of grub and mbr recovery was nasty.

Windows 7 is fast as well. I found it to be very powerful as well.
for a Beta release it is stable with very few problems.

Been using Ubuntu dual boot since the Breezy Badger (Ubuntu 5.10) days. Presently have both 8.04 LTS 64 bit Ultimate Edition and Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit in a multiboot configuration with Win 7 RC and XP-SP3 pro. Grub menu.lst is on 8.04.
I prefer 8.10 over 8.04 LTS.

I cannot use the latest 9.04 version because the devs made a decision to use the latest xserver beta. This xserver initially didn't support the Linux drivers for my ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 video card. When Ati released a driver set that would work (Catalyst 9.4 for Linux) it coincided with their decision to drop support for my card and many other so called legacy cards. The last driver version to support my card was Catalyst 9.3 for linux.
These drivers provided full hardware 3-D acceleration for these cards in linux.

See the below warning from the cchtml wiki site devoted to installing the fglrx (Catalyst) proprietary drivers in Ubuntu 9.04.

Which cards does ATI no longer support? The ATI Radeon 9500-9800, X300-X2100, Xpress. See the complete list here. If your card is on that list, you are restricted to the 9.3 driver - however since 9.3 driver doesn't support xorg-xserver 1.6, it will not work with Jaunty! This guide currently is for installing 9.7. !!!SO BE CAREFUL!!!
Trying to install either driver set results in a severely broken x.
With Ubuntu 9.04 the only option was to use the open source based Ati or Radeon drivers in the repos installed by default.
In a word these drivers suck. No hardware acceleration only software. One consequence is that GoogleEarthLinux doesn't work.

It looks like future versions of Ubuntu will be similarily crippled by ATi's heavy handed decision to drop support for dozens of video cards plus Ubuntu has to share some responsibility if they continue to push the latest xserver exclusively.

I can only hope that either ATi will produce a special version of fglrx that both supports legacy cards and the new xserver (very unlikely) or the future releases of Ubuntu offer, during the install process, the option of choosing the earlier xserver
version, the one supported by Catalyst 9.3 or earlier. Another option is that the folks developing the open source drivers get on the ball and develop usable 3-D hardware acceleration.

If nothing changes it looks like Ubuntu 8.10 will be the last Ubuntu release I'll be using.
I suspect that as other linux distros jump on the new xserver bandwagon it will exclude users of the ATi legacy cards as well.

Thank you, to the jerks at ATi for engineering this monumental mess.

BTW, I'm using a notebook computer so I can't change my video card, believe me, I would if I could.
I will never by another AMD/ATi product again, be it an AMD/ATi equipped computer or a standalone ATi video card.
I won't ever by an AMD cpu either.

Nvidia all the way.

Last edited:
Greetings. I orderd my free Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty CD. I have not had a chance to work with it though. My overall impression is Ubuntu is fun to play with - not at all suitable for a development box - I dont trust the software entirely just yet. Another big up for Ubuntu is I love the package manager sudo apt-get install whatever, I never had a problem with the repos.

Ubuntu 9.10 host, Windows XP and now Windows 7 guests

Ubuntu 9.10 does boot faster (newer grub and gdm) and is very easy on resources. Upgrade is a hassle (as mentioned in a previous post) I use Virtualbox 3.0.12. Installing Windows 7 into its own virtual drive was a snap. Because Windows 7 is so much 'snappier' than its predecessors and easier on ram, I can run both virtual machines on top of the host. Windows XP is still slow. And we are limited on compatibility yet, although compatibility mode is more advanced than in the old days. In particular, Symantec Console Center and Symantec BackupExec consoles will not run on Windows 7 (again I am being forced to upgrade to changing OS architecture not the hardware). Hence the reason for virtualization.

My machine is dual boot - Windows XP on one partition and Ubuntu on the other. It has 4 gigs ram, Nvidia 8400 video and 2 drives (100 gig for Windblows XP and 500 gig for Ubuntu and guest systems). Now if I want to upgrade the smaller partition, its a fresh install...and I may still do it and keep my XP virtual machine.

I am a network engineer, not a developer (programmer). So I take whatever the programmers hand out and make it work :D. Again, as mentioned above, job security. I have no issues with networking on either platform. Winbind works for me.

All this to say, Ubuntu does require being able to work from the cli for some things - such as trying something new and breaking it. With all the support for an open source system out there, its pretty easy to see why I have taken the route I have. I can fix it, because someone else already has and has documented it.

With businesses looking for a lower cost means of operating. I can 'carry' the Windows 7 guest around and install to any Ubuntu machine without the hassle of hardware compatibility. Once the lines fuzz a little more between OpenGL and DirectX, 'development' for Linux can include gaming and other business applications that Microsoft has cornered the market on. At least we have OpenOffice! :eek:

I think Ubuntu is a very well done OS that provides numerous unique features and never stops amazing me when it comes to visuals.

Just wait until Gnome 3.0 launches, the interface is getting a very nice usability overhaul, see _here_ for an idea of what it will look like.

If only it could play games as well as Windows does... ;) Maybe someday!!!

It can play games very well, what we need is real support from indie/professional game development studios and GPU vendors.

I'd like to know if any of you use Ubuntu and what your overall thoughts on it are.. :)

In summary, it's great. I have used it on and off since 5.04.

Know that it's good to learn a variety of distributions. I am often seen using Fedora, Arch, Ubuntu and CentOS :)

Back
Top Bottom