Windows 10 Anyone read this yet??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
We’re suspending the availability of Windows 10 builds briefly while we prepare for that, and the next build that we flight to you will be delivered using the production channels. Starting tomorrow, we will also not be delivering any additional ISOs at this point as we really need Insiders to be using, stressing, and validating our distribution and upgrade processes. We’ll make ISOs available again in the future, but for now we ask you to upgrade your current build via Windows Update once the next build is released.
SOURCE: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10166/

I don't suppose anyone knows what they mean by "Production Channels"?

I am not sure exactly what they expect to get out of updating a normal way, since many Insiders have been using Clean installs, by necessity, in most situations.

Given all the problems people are having updating different versions of Windows 10 What makes MS think things will be smoother when the general public tries to update Windows 7 and 8?
Joe

WTF......just checked mine .... sure as shit...it says it's up to date. I'll be damn, must be getting real close to crunch time.

Face it, the upgrade process is a big mess, even from 8. They are probably trying to expedite that as a fix. I hope.

Right on. There seems, to me and most others, no essential problems with a fresh install, but, with MS's intention to make this an automatic upgrade for the majority, they are still at square one. Unless there are some "not yet revealed" improvements, I would suggest the 29th is in jeopardy.

Rumours are circling that the 29th date will be passed and also .. An upgrade process is about as useful as a chocolate teapot and the sooner Microsoft realise this the better.

Iso's all the way baby!

I am also wondering what happened to the multiple device download as per the settings in "Choose how updates are delivered".

In one or two earlier builds, a second or third install would use my other PC and the resulting download of the build was up to 300 Mbps. But in the last two, it has not seemed to be the case and all downloading was done entirely from online and remained at the Internet speed of 50 Mbps or less.

Dell has removed the option to purchase a pre-installed Windows 10 model, but still shows free upgrade available 7/29.

Also, if this information is important, should there not be a way to disseminate it to the Insiders more efficiently.

should there not be a way to disseminate it to the Insiders more efficiently.
I even went to the trouble of reinstalling the "Insider Hub" on 10166, thinking..... What better way to make "Insiders" aware of these changes with respect to upcoming build distributions.
NADA
Nothing that I could find there regarding this recent information except the link to http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/tag/windows-insider-program/ where possibly, with enough determination you might be able to find it.

It just crossed my mind this upgrade might be a stealth version? When they say "Production Channels", could it already be downloading?

I am seeing constant network activity, but it is small and might be just about anything.

could it already be downloading?
Who knows?
I think, in light of that possibility, I'll be doing a few, more frequent, system images in the mean time.
Starting now.
Two weeks from tomorrow, so I guess we'll be finding something out, relatively "soon".

Well.... after that system image I did some checking, using WinDirStat and Search "Everything", for the usual suspects *.esd, *.iso, *.wim, just to see if there was anything new on my PC consuming upwards of 3 gigs of space that I was unaware of and I didn't find anything. So no stealthy downloads, yet, at least not that I could find.

I am also wondering what happened to the multiple device download as per the settings in "Choose how updates are delivered".
Also, if this information is important, should there not be a way to disseminate it to the Insiders more efficiently.

Yeah. As a loyal "insider" I am still wondering why I have to go to Twitter to get the latest news from know Aul.
Anyway, I guess it is water under the bridge, now.

Not only is it "water under the bridge" - at my age and after all my time in the industry it's recycled water passing under the same bridges for the nth time - nothing new, keep taking the tablets!

Anyone showing a different version of the build in the registry. It has always said fbl-impressive but may now say TH1? I can't check mine since I am on Window 8.1 right now.

I just checked the other system and it was originally fbl-impressive but after an update, a fairly large one, it now shows BranchName TH1.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

So, I guess I am ready for tomorrow, if anything happens.

Back