Windows 10 Application Window Size and Location

Grantcoll

I have upgraded an HP Laptop to Windows 10. I have noticed that when I open windows the position is not the same as when I closed the window. Sometimes it is close. Eg with FF pushes the top up if any part of the bottom frame is below the taskbar. Windows Edge, the newly opened window appears to move about a bit radomly.

If I open This PC (My Computer), position it at a certain height, then close and reopen, it is near the previous location, but about the height of the Windows Title bar lower. This can be repeated until it has moved a certain distance down the screen, then it jumps back to the top. This is like it is permanently tiling, except that I am closing each window before opening it again. Normally tiling only happens when you open one explorer or my computer on top of another.

Wordpad and Notepad don't suffer with this. They close and open in the same locations.

There used to be a way to hold Shift I think it is while closing an application to force it to write it's current Windows Position. However it seems you have an odd issue there...

If that was required, then it would be a detrimental change/down grade. I contacted Microsoft, and they accepted it as a new "Windows 10 Issue" and said there will be a fix in a future update.

I'm a PC user currently using a 64 bit OS on a desktop PC. In previous versions of Windows, possibly back prior to NT, when an application was used and you changed the size of the window and its location, that size and location would be remembered whether you just closed the application or logged off and on again. Now, when I log on, application window sizes and locations are random which is proving most annoying, especially with applications I use every day, sometimes more than once a day. I am also annoyed that text sizing is proving really difficult and changes between logins. MS please either revert the said software or fix it.

The solution is to go back to Windows 7. All the problems are fixed and there are no missing features. After all, in reality, Windows 10 on PC's/Laptops offers nothing.

There used to be a way to hold Shift I think it is while closing an application to force it to write it's current Windows Position. However it seems you have an odd issue there...

I thought it was control and exit app/window and it would then open in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom