Windows 7 Asus G74SX boot up problem

Sleather

hello. i have recently run into a problem with my windows 7 ultimate asus g74sx laptop. whenever i fully shut it down and then turn it back on afterward the splash screen narrows unlocking ias does the resolution- and when i type in my password and logon it boots up to a black screen. i can at that point lock the the computer by pressing the power button and then unlock it which seems to bring it back to normal but it still bugs me- startup repair and system restore are no help, as well as sfc \scannow

You get any warnings or information? Can you get to the BIOS? Have you made any changes there, or updated any hardware? It could be a BIOS issue, they sometimes break down too, although it's quite rare. Probably some 85% of problems deal with memory.

Number ONE is, if your computer has warranty left, use it. Take it to the seller, rather than fiddling about on your own.

no warning or information-have already done a repair install, but the problem came back ((it only happens when i shut down my computer fully, not just restarting it))

I don't think it's a Windows problem, thus a repair install won't help. It seems obvious that some part of your system won't wake, for a reason or another. Try to leave it for, say, 20 minutes after start to warm up, and then log in? If restart works well, it indicates that the components work well once they are warm, but something doesn't work when cold. And that something could be anything, except software - it'll be hardware.

I repeat: if your computer has warranty, use it. It's a rather new product, isn't it?

clean boot has heralded no good news, i'm afraid- the problem still persists in that configuration: warranty has run out as well, so i'm stumped

well ive figured out the problem lies with the 301.42 WQHL drivers i had installed to complement the NVIDIA Geforce 560M GTX graphics card- yet im confused to as how this compatible driver update corrupts my computer

Actually, you can find tons of material of how some version of drivers didn't work in my system... commonly, new drivers improve it all, but sometimes not. Sometimes older drivers work better. Goes under the heading "Heaven only knows". Just take a look with the search "Best driver for..." - guess I made my point. Or look at http://www.guru3d.com/, you'll be amazed.

But I'm sure glad you got it working. Sure glad, because I've had some problems myself. :) And that's just not a few...

Last edited:
Back