Windows 10 ASUS X550C Restarted to BIOS, Won’t Boot

Launch CSM = old hardware compatibility like the ps2 mouse we had before USB devices... if you have old hardware it can help Windows to look in the stored drivers but that also takes a few more seconds during boot up so;
have CSM enabled for testing unless you want the fastest boot speed possible

PXE = (booting the operating system from a server)... you only have this one if you have a server and want that server to control the booting
DVDRAM = a disc drive like schools use and the idea is to put the disc in the drive and run the system from that so kids can't save anything to the drive

Q1, now this computer says it has no harddrive so did it come from a school perhaps or has the harddrive failed?
Q2, do you normally put a Linux or Windows disc in the rom before booting this laptop?
Q3, in the advanced tab [the image below the one with your highlight] please open the two tabs; sata configuration and network stack... we need to see if anything is showing as available in there, like a harddrive?

I am not an IT person. I don't know what you mean with the first paragraph.

The laptop does not have a disk drive.

Thirdly, this all started several days ago. I had left the laptop running overnight, presumably to perform the latest Windows Update. When I returned, it froze--I did a hard reboot. Since then, I have the situation we are discussing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok in slow speak;
one of two things has happened to your laptop and they are both bad;

1. the harddrive is tits up busted (all the data on it is gone) and you need a new harddrive or a new laptop... it is often cheaper to bye a new laptop than spend money looking for old parts to match the laptop you have

2. the harddrive itself is ok {all the data is still there} and the problem is Windows updates loaded untested [one size fits all] drivers which don't work for your older harddrive... 95% of the time this is what has happened but a laptop does tend to get bashed up so it could be either scenario

I don't know your needs... maybe the data on that harddrive is important photos of your kids holidays or tax data but you need a pro to look at it not someones 10 year old

removing the harddrive to test it is easy and should not cost you much [assuming the data is something you want back]

replacing the harddrive and then install Windows will just bring you back to the same problem when updates happen so most people with older laptops install Linux instead once they reach this point... again its often cheaper to just get a new machine unless you want something for the kids to play with but remember to remove any data before giving it to them

Ok. How would you recommend I determine which problem I have? I got some input on Facebook as well. I am near Chicago, but all of Illinois is currently on quarantine.

if the data is important then you need to remove the harddrive from the laptop and that is a job best done by someone that knows computers... I'll ask the other staff for you

Several days ago, I was running the usual Windows Update process overnight on my X550C.

When I returned and tried to unlock the laptop, it froze. I therefore did a forced restart.

The laptop went to a black screen with a couple of options and several tabs. I learned online that this is the BIOS screen.

I created a password, but that did not change anything. Based on directions I found, I tried to disable the top setting in the Security tab and also enable the second setting, but I was only able to change one of them.

I cannot get past the error message I have received ever since. I am not an IT person, and since Illinois is under quarantine, I don't know if I can get help anywhere.

I need my laptop. Does anyone have suggestions?

If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Another version of this is the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".

NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.

Thanks.

Just verifying here: you saw the screenshots I posted, right?
3cc4e9a1bb3df943e8cb701d80a27c8b.jpg

afab929c3e3ffd4d92233ef923d962b7.jpg

9a5de61b65741ae24bc38b22de5976b0.jpg

6f2050adc773364d87cf239e9fd3ef5a.jpg

0154f56b43ed61e09c59e9f513e93656.jpg

21dbc4e8ed6337bbe1d3d335240b5341.jpg

The rotating circle does not appear. Instead, I this dialog box. When I enter the password I created, I get the error message in my last photo. If I press and hold F2, I get the BIOS system. The tabs are shown in the other photos.

1. Windows 10

2. Based on others’ input, there is a failed hard drive.

Please read the thread. Your posts do not address the actual situation.

SEIM. ? ? The last update on the machine will show it on the machine's browsing history? tel

Back
Top Bottom