ASUS X556U-XX606D graphic resolution

Agent48

I bought this laptop with the following specs listed on both the packaging and Asus website
  • Display Size: 15.6″
  • Display Type: HD LED-backlight
  • Resolution:1920 x 1080 (HD)
  • ASUS Splendid Technology
The maximum resolution am getting in the setting is 1366×768. The drivers are updated. What might be the issue

livix07

The maximum resolution am getting in the setting is 1366×768. The drivers are updated. What might be the issue
If the drivers are indeed the latest then try an older driver and see if it makes any difference.
Another thing that you could do, just for testing, is to run a Linux live DVD/USB such as Manjaro, Mint or Ubuntu. You can see then if higher screen resolutions are available or the same as in Windows.

Agent48

I will try manjaro

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
You must have the model that does 51.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) as there a couple of version of that model.

Agent48

But why should they package it as full hd?

dikbozo

I suggest you get the drivers from ASUS, even if they are older. I have seen issues with more recent drivers caused by odd or out of spec hardware not supported by official drivers. Annoying, yes. Installing drivers from manufacturers, especially on laptops, can fix this type of problem.

BTW the spec page for this at ASUS oddly lists both resolutions under display. I have no idea why.

Spirit Wolfe

Honorable Member
You must have the model that does 51.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) as there a couple of version of that model.
But why should they package it as full hd?
I suggest you get the drivers from ASUS, even if they are older. I have seen issues with more recent drivers caused by odd or out of spec hardware not supported by official drivers. Annoying, yes. Installing drivers from manufacturers, especially on laptops, can fix this type of problem.

BTW the spec page for this at ASUS oddly lists both resolutions under display. I have no idea why.

For this ASUS series version of notebooks (as well as others), as most of you know they make their own motherboards and they make their own notebooks and the mobos that go into them as well.

For example, my original notebook (and my first ASUS notebook) was an N90Sv. This notebook was unique because this was the first notebook I have seen that could house two internal hard drives and give me a DVD burner (which later I changed out for a Bluray burner) and the WiFi Wireless N integrated network card. My point is that you all have mentioned that ASUS displays a couple of different resolutions or different specs for the same model of ASUS notebook. Well with my N90SV notebook that model had three different built-in integrated camera models (and maybe manufacturers) that it used for the supplying that model of ASUS notebook with an integrated camera. I had a heck of a time trying to keep that driver properly updated. I finally gave up and switched to, back then, Driver Detective software that helped in closely matching the version numbers of the hardware to the proper drivers.

Even today I own my latest ASUS. My notebook is an ASUS ZenBook Q-Series (504UAK) 2-in-1 touchscreen. The original model for this notebook that is displayed on their support website is ASUS Q-Series (Q504U) 2-in-1 touch. If you try to lookup Q504UAK... You will not find that model number listed. However, it is a valid model number. It is just that my notebook uses Realtek drivers for sound and integrated SDCard drive and have an integrated Bluetooth which uses Intel drivers, while some other of the same Q504U series 2-in-1 ZenBooks use Broadcom drivers for their integrated Bluetooth, Alcor drivers for the integrated SDCard readers, and nVidia drivers because they might have a better-integrated video card than the Intel HD Graphics 620 that I have in my 2-in-1. It all depends on what they can get the best price at the time of manufacturing them.

On a side note, to get the best possible use out of the hardware/software integration I had to upgrade to the latest ATKACPI driver (v100060) when I installed the October 2018 Windows 10 patch and I had to reset the current display to the Microsoft's Generic Display driver just to get my FN+F5 and FN+F6 keys working properly again. It was little things like that you will not find on the ASUS support website, even though they are the best Taiwanese OEM Manufacturer of notebooks and mobos in the world (IMHO) from ROC (Republic of China).

Upon my endeavors, I have stumbled upon this website created by Ivan Ridao Freitas because you cannot find easily all the current and updated drivers for ASUS notebooks all that easily.

Most of the time the reason why (again IMHO) ASUSTek, Inc. is not lying stating that your notebook can display full HD mode is because it can, however only from you hooking an external TV/Monitor HDMI cable to a compatible HD TV/Monitor. My Generic PnP Touchscreen Display can pull off HD mode, but only at 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (720p). Still HD, but not by much, and some people do not consider 720p to be HD, but have HD start at 1080p. While my external display can pull off a resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 30Hz, probably because I use a Vizio 4K HD Monitor (it is technically not considered a "TV" because it does not have a built-in tuner, but it is sold under the TV umbrella because it is a 43" display and made by Vizio, I guess). I usually do not use this high of a setting because it lags so much when you use the extended display feature under Windows 10, I try to stay within a display mode so that it is very little or no lag usually 1920 x 1080. Especially when you are trying to watch a movie on the second screen while browsing the internet or doing other work on your main monitor. This is also why ASUS will list two separate resolutions under the display (again IMHO).

I hope this helps and check out that website.

Cheers!

Agent48

Thanks bro. That was very informative

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.