Windows 7 Audio Crackling Problem

ScienceOfThePS3

Here are my specs:

Dell Inspiron B130 laptop
Intel 915 Express Chipset Family grpahics
SigmaTel HD Audio
Intel PROSet/Wireless 2915AGB wireless card

This seems to affect all audio from 7, including system sounds. I used to have the same exact problem in Vista but I used a driver fix that corrected the problem in Vista but doesn't work in 7. I also tried disabling audio enhancements as well as changing my wifi card to G mode. I'm using Build 6801 with the latest drivers and updates. Does anyone else seem to have audio problems in 7? Does anyone know of any fixes for this type of problem?

This is actaully the only problem that is preventing me from switching over to 7 as my main OS. (Reason being because Vista sucks.)

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my Sound Blaster card. If I try to use the vista drivers 7 will just blue screen although I can get the onboard Realtek chip to work..
I'd say it's still very early days regarding driver support and although the vista driver base is supposed to work, clearly it does not. I'd wait awhile if I was you before moving over to using this as your main os...

I have Sigmatel HD Audio, and yet I have no audio issues.
My PC is hooked into my gaming chair, but that shouldn't make a difference.

I too had initial audio issues on my notebook Intel 965, 1.8ghz, 1.5gb DDR2 RAM, 250gb HDD, but then I was lucky enough to sort it out.... First when I installed windows 7, Audio detected automatically and working very fine but was cracking, then it updated through automatic updates but the audio stopped working, then I uninstalled the latest drivers for the audio and installed the ones which I had for Vista 32bit and it works very fine....

So I think not always the latest drivers work...

Try your default drivers while installation or the one which you have for vista or download and see...

I have the sound problems and it got fixed when I upgraded the bios on my laptop, maybe a coincidence but al least the annoying sound is gone.

Here are my specs:

Dell Inspiron B130 laptop
Intel 915 Express Chipset Family grpahics
SigmaTel HD Audio
Intel PROSet/Wireless 2915AGB wireless card

This seems to affect all audio from 7, including system sounds. I used to have the same exact problem in Vista but I used a driver fix that corrected the problem in Vista but doesn't work in 7. I also tried disabling audio enhancements as well as changing my wifi card to G mode. I'm using Build 6801 with the latest drivers and updates. Does anyone else seem to have audio problems in 7? Does anyone know of any fixes for this type of problem?

This is actaully the only problem that is preventing me from switching over to 7 as my main OS. (Reason being because Vista sucks.)

Yeah me too - here is how you fix it/ or at least make it sound ok .
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Drivers/Others/414/SBL51_W9xME.exe
before I found that link I clicked on the audio by the time on the taskbar when it pops up click on the speaker then go to tone and turn the bass almost all the way down and turn the treble 3/4 that will make it sound better at least for the people who have unsupported drivers it won't sound too bad.

It was done on purpose!!

Yeah me too - here is how you fix it/ or at least make it sound ok .
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/D...BL51_W9xME.exe
before I found that link I clicked on the audio by the time on the taskbar when it pops up click on the speaker then go to tone and turn the bass almost all the way down and turn the treble 3/4 that will make it sound better at least for the people who have unsupported drivers it won't sound too bad.

I am working on un%locking% the sound

I have the same problem, it seems to crop up randomly. I have a sound blaster audigy 2 zs. However I am reluctant to download that file you link to as it has Win98xME in the title :0

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Same problem here, random crackling so bad I can't hear. There for a few minutes, then it works, then it's back. Yes, I'm using the original Sound Blaster Audigy PCI card! Love this damn thing, had it forever.

To fix the problem, I ripped it out and went with on-board sound. That works fine. There is no Vista driver for the original Audigy I could find.

Vacendak

you were kinda vague on that description but as we all know the problem is with the driver being incompatible with windows 7. I would use the onboard soundcard until a windows 7 driver emerges.

I am having the same problem with my realtek card but sadly I cannot get the updated driver because I am on a mac

Same problem, tried various cards

I have an onboard ATI HD sound and it has static or glitching noises which occur random but all the time. I have a 2nd machine with Realtek onboard and it has the same problems, I also have a 3rd system with an Audigy 2 that has the same issue as well. Any thoughts on a fix or what i could do? I am a PC Tech and have tried different cards and 3 different systems and to no prevail have i found a fix. TY

I had a problem with crackling until I went contol panel>sounds>highlight speakers>rt. clk. and gave the right description of my speakers and tested:D

Found a fix for my crackling problem

It sounds like many people are having success with different techniques. I don't recall seeing my fix here, so I'll mention it as well.

In the beginning, Windows 7 recognized my card and installed some default drivers from 2006. I actually had no sound at all.

For starters, I pulled the Vista drivers for the Audigy series using a Google search. Can't remember exactly which page they came from, but they were easy enough to find. I had to run the install in compatibility mode or else the installer would complain about an unsupported OS. After the installation completed and I choose to reboot, I had immediate success as I finally heard audio for the Windows sound that is played when you logoff.

After rebooting, I found the same crackling problem that others had described, although it was still better than no sound at all. I turned off audio enhancements, but it didn't seem to make a difference (although I kept it off). Then I started playing with the sample rate of the audio. First I dropped it from DVD quality to CD quality, but the crackling continued. Finally, I tried the absolute highest sample rate (one of the Studio quality rates) and the crackling went away.

So for me, it was a matter of getting the Vista Audigy drivers, possibly disabling audio enhancements, and setting the max sample rate for the audio.

I hope this helps at least one other person out there.

Go, On-board Sound.

Ok, so I read what people said and put it back in. I forced the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy via compatibility mode Vista. Worked for awhile and then "crackling" again.

That's it, had it with SoundBlaster. Ripped it out for good this time. Realtek on-board sound is not that bad. I remember years ago having similar driver / Windows problems. Yo, Creative, your drivers suck.

I was blaming Windows 7 at first, but I think we can safely point the finger at Creative now. Windows 7 is GOOD, it will be the standard. Creative, write some good drivers and make your hardware more compatible or fade away like Voodoo 3.

Vacendak

Can you follow instruction?

Here is instruction for the hopeless and/or simple and/or lazy:

Go to the Creative forums
Go to the Soundblaster forum
Look for threads authored by the great Daniel_K
Download the appropriate Win7 driver for your card.
All your X-Fi and Audigy problems will be gone if you can follow the simple install instructions.

Happened to me too on my 1501 when I tried my Sigmatel drivers, so I'm sticking with the default 7's.

when it happens, i just stop whatever music or movie im playing then resume it and its fine. dont have to wait X amount of minutes for it to return to normal

I am running Windows 7 32-bit on a Compaq X6000 with Conexant AC97 soundcard. The aConexant AC97 udio here is suffering from the same issue and I have tried every I can locate. Has anyone fixed this probem for Conexant AC97?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom