Windows 7 Autoplay not working

Bails89

Every time I stick a DVD (game/movie) into the drive it comes up with an autoplay box with 1 option, to open the folder to view files. In Explorer the DVD shows up just as a generic DVD - basically as if it were just a blank disc for burning. If I 'explore' the disc there are no playable files, just an empty folder and a notepad document. I can't play the DVD in WMP, or any other player and can't start a game from the disc.

Prob1.jpgProb2.jpg

This happened once before after burning a CD, the system just wouldn't recognise DVDs. It sorted itself out pretty quickly last time, this time, again after burning a CD, I can't get it to work.

I'd appreciate any help and am ready to provide any info you might need to fix this hugely irritating problem.

Thanks!

Are you using any third party burning software?

Have you done a cold boot to try to reset?

A Cold Boot is when you shut the system all the way down and not just a restart.

I will try burning something with WMP later to see if it effects my system. But if you could narrow down exactly when this happens as far as what type of media is being burned and any other factors coming into play when you burn.

Are the DVDs not being recognized of any particular type? Are they retail?

Yup they're retail, game DVDs, film DVDs. It occurs when I try to play a DVD after burning a CD, I've done it before lots of times but the last two times I did it this happened.

It has once again fixed itself, no idea how. I could burn another CD to see if it happens agian?

If you want to test, that is up to you. I am not sure what happens if you find out it is the burning of a CD that causes it...I suppose if you knew for sure what caused it you might have a better chance of finding out how to reset it..

There could be a mechanical problem with your drive. Since the CD and DVD use different lasers, burning with one might somehow be misaligning the other.

Thanks for the help, I think it's something to do with the drive staying in 'burn' mode or something and Windows seeing the disc as a storage device rather than as media ? Don't really know enough to say for sure though.

Try compiling it with an ISO program, such as PowerISO. Then mount it on a virtual drive and run it from that, the results should be successful.

~Varclias

Back