Backup and restore single domain controller

sacredboy

Hi guys,

Today I tried to test backup/restore of single domain controller. The test was performed on virtual machine Windows Server 2012 with the following roles: AD DS, DNS, DHCP and Certificate Authority. Below are the steps I did:
1. Created backup of System state.
2. Deleted disk with OS and created new one.
3. Installed Windows Server 2012.
4. Booted in DSRM mode and restored System state.
5. After restoration of System state booted in normal mode.

After restoring System state AD Domains and Trusts, AD Sites and Services and AD Users and Computers tools are not started. The reason is the same "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".

It is said that mostly it's related to the missing connection with Global Catalog, but in my case it seems to be accessible on restored domain controller.
Code:
C:\Users\Administrator>dsquery server -domain corp.netdoc.com.au -isgc
"CN=SYDHODC01,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC
=corp,DC=netdoc,DC=com,DC=au"

Could you, please, explain why backup of System state turned to be not enough for full restoration and if it is possible to restore domain controller properly in this situation.

Thank you.

The test was performed on virtual machine
I would assume the Mac address will be different as Hyper-v gives a new one to each system by default... why did you delete the system and what software made step 1?

I would assume the Mac address will be different as Hyper-v gives a new one to each system by default... why did you delete the system and what software made step 1?
Highly unlikely because I did that on the same virtual machine (btw, I did it on VMware). I deleted the disk with OS just to imitate the scenario when OS is lost completely.

vmware also generates Mac addresses but just replacing the hdd will not be the issue correct... when you say you made a backup of the system, are you talking about a snapshot because that will be stored with the hdd

vmware also generates Mac addresses but just replacing the hdd will not be the issue correct... when you say you made a backup of the system, are you talking about a snapshot because that will be stored with the hdd
I didn't take a snapshot. Just made backup of System state.

Was this the only DC or do you have multiple DCs and which DC roles do you have on each?

Yes it was the only DC as I wanted to test the scenario when the only DC fails. It has the following roles installed: AD DS, DNS, DHCP and Certificate Authority.

Back