Windows Vista Black Screen and 64 bit version won't install...

cCk

I have this CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

And this video card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I put the 64 bit version in the drive and I got a non compatible error but
my cpu says has the 64 bit technology. Then, I tried the 32 bit version and it worked, to a point. After nearly completing the installation, I got a black screen at the "completing installation" phase. I'm thinking my video card, or driver, are not supported, or its out of date. I'm kind of lost on where to go next. I can't boot in safe mode, nor can I reinstall xp. I also tried booting to cd and reinstalling windows 7 but that didn't work either.

That rig is definately 64bit and not incompatible, so you might have to tinker with it further in BIOS to get it working, certainly the motherboard is gonna be the villian here.

I have this CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

And this video card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I put the 64 bit version in the drive and I got a non compatible error but
my cpu says has the 64 bit technology. Then, I tried the 32 bit version and it worked, to a point. After nearly completing the installation, I got a black screen at the \"completing installation\" phase. I'm thinking my video card, or driver, are not supported, or its out of date. I'm kind of lost on where to go next. I can't boot in safe mode, nor can I reinstall xp. I also tried booting to cd and reinstalling windows 7 but that didn't work either.
Don't forget the update the BIOS if you haven't. Go to the MOBO site.

Okay, I updated the bios and did another clean reinstall and it still does the same thing. I've noticed that the box says vista upgrade version, or something like that. Could this be the problem since I was previously using XP?

Ahh looks like you may have found the real cause now, sure that it's an upgrade edition?

Nope I was wrong, I figured out it's not just for vista, it works with xp as well. I installed xp again, updated all of my drivers. Reinstalled windows 7 64 and i'm getting a black screen again. I guess my $1000 computer upgrade isn't good enough for Windows 7. :|

Last edited:
oh man, talk about unlucky... I'm sure its a teething problem rather than your hardware...hopefully one of the gurus may find a cure...

Back