Windows 7 Bluescreen - NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

BobDobalina

Hello,

i have issues with my computer. Last week my computer crashed with a bluescreen caused by a damaged ram (BSOD > Memory_Management) (was using 2x4gb). With the help of Memtest i found the broken ram and bought a new package of the exactly same (modelnumber is same!). Now I have - due using again a package of 2x4gb additional to the one 4gb working - 12gb ram. I thought now, that all the bugs should gone.. but sadly now. At the beginning of the week i recognized, that sometimes for example a program crashed, once my firefox also crashed.. and yesterday also my media player classic wasnt working anymore till restart. later that day when starting a game a short time after i got a bluescreen, but with different message:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Ntfs.sys

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00000000001904fb, 0xfffff88003185578, 0xfffff88003184dd0,
0xfffff80002ea89be)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address 0xfffff88001232688 base at 0xfffff8800122e000 DateStamp
0x5167f5fc

Now that sounds for me like issues with the harddrive, even when I dont think, that the harddrive should be damaged! The system Harddrive is a SSD.

What i tried yet:

1) chkdsk c: /f /r on the harddrives (even the once just for music and pictures) - it could not find any issues!
2) checked the harddrives with Crystal Disk Info everything seems to be okay.

I have not changed anything special in my system in the close past! So I don't think this is an issues caused by new drivers for example. i am really desperated :(

Hi Bob,
we really need to see the actual dump files created when the machine blue screens. These can be found in via the main windows folder in a folder marked 'minidump'. If the folder isn't there then your system needs to be changed so it produces dump files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs

If you already have dump files then read this thread and use the app contain within:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

Ok here we go. In the zip Fil there is the old dump file from the Ram and the new one with the NTFS message.

also the html ones of cpu z and rammon

Attachments

• Dumpfiles.zip
    71.4 KB · Views: 249
  • cpuz-rammon.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, fffff88003185578, fffff88003184dd0, fffff80002ea89be}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!DeleteNodeFromTree+14e )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as you know Bugcheck 24 indicates a problem occurred in ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS drives. This can be caused by corruption in the disk sectors but also old SATA/IDE drivers can also have an affect as can other drivers. Many of your drivers are a little old and your bios is especially out of date.

dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Jan 13 13:45:46 2012: Daemon Tools driver Possible BSOD issues in Win7. Consider removing to test.

HECIx64.sys Mon Jul 02 23:14:58 2012: Intel Management Engine Interface
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24499/Intel-ME-10-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

Your missing the Intel chipset inf too:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775

More importantly it looks like your Intel Rapid storage driver is missing too which can help even with single drives:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24293

iusb3hcs.sys Mon May 21 08:23:42 2012: Intel USB 3 driver. A later version is on the motherboard support page under 'other drivers'
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z77A-G43.html#down-driver&Win7 64

Both your Audio and Network driver are out of date and a later version is found on the above support page.

BiosVersion = V2.5
BiosReleaseDate = 08/31/2012
Current version stands at V2.13 and it looks like your missing out on some improved functionality consider updating at some point although I don't think it's critical to this situation.

Find command prompt, right click on it and run as administrator. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results. This will check on windows corruption.

Another thing you could check is the Hard drives 'SMART' values. This will give you an idea on the health of the drive. In fact if you download an application called 'Speedfan' (primarily used for controlling system fans) Open the app, look across the top for SMART, click that, find your drive in the drop down menu and then click on the revealed 'Perform an in-depth analysis of my hard disk'. You'll then see a web page with a report about your drive.
Download: SpeedFan 4.51.

Post any new dump files.

So this far i did following:

done

More importantly it looks like your Intel Rapid storage driver is missing too which can help even with single drives:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24293

Tried the Setup from the link 2 times. I got an Error, that my platform is not supported. Istead i downloaded and installed it from the official mainboard link u gave me. the version is 11.0.0.1032 from 2013. But this one works.

iusb3hcs.sys Mon May 21 08:23:42 2012: Intel USB 3 driver. A later version is on the motherboard support page under 'other drivers'
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z77A-G43.html#down-driver&Win7 64
done

done. but i don't know what this is?

I have some issues with Speedfan. I knew the program and also used it in the past. When using it on the first startup it stacks in loading and i need to hardkill it. then after restart ir works fine. it looks all ok they. I'm using HWmonitor istead for checking temperatures.
However. Any idea why I need a second starttry to get the program running? Also checked all 3 harddrives. the system drive is the best. Also all are "good" and some of them seem to be old. I guess there is nothing critical here.

Deamon Tools never made any issues in my whole time. Guess it is not the evil gangster here(?)

Network and Audiodrivers updated.
The part with the bios-update.. I really don't get it. But is it even important? If yes, how to update this? BIOS sounds really hard..

sfc /scannow was without results/issues

Last edited:
Hi,
HECIx64.sys Mon Jul 02 23:14:58 2012: Intel Management Engine Interface
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24499/Intel-ME-10-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC
done. but i don't know what this is?

This a driver which looks after hardware and the like:

Tasks performed by the Management Engine
The main component of Management Engine interface, ME performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the PC. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of PC.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/55149-intel-management-engine-interface-needed.html

Deamon Tools never made any issues in my whole time. Guess it is not the evil gangster here(?)

Daemon Tools is only mentioned as an option although at least now you know that it can be known to cause bsod's in win 7.

The part with the bios-update.. I really don't get it. But is it even important? If yes, how to update this? BIOS sounds really hard..

Again this for your information only and I suspect that the bios isn't related to your issue. In your case I would only update if the issue continued.

I was more concerned with the missing Intel drivers as some relate to storage. As these have now been updated monitor the situation and if the bsod re-occurs then post back.
Best of luck.. :)

IAStorIcon is not in autostart. Can i deactivate it? It's fine for me to have the drivers, but I do not like to have runnign software on the computer, when not needed. If yes>how? Or is it just possible with msconfig or CCleaner?

I presume your talking about the rapid storage icon? If you open it and click on preferences you can remove it from the taskbar although this gives decreased functionality but the choice is yours.

Hello, I have to write here again, because there are some problems with my Computer - still. Last week i woke up my computer after a night from the standby mode. When the computer was running, i was just listening to music.. after three songs, the song started to get very slow/creepy and then the pc froze. Just the reset button helped. Now I also purchased GTA 5 soem days ago and I have often crashes with it, so it doesn't make fun to play. I tried there also everythign but nothign helps (again latest drivers, checked files via steam for issues, settings - even game - when it runs - runs pretty good). I am now quite unsure, if my Windows 7 is not broken and it needs a reinstall.. but I am even not sure if newinstalls are really helpful. Also I am not sure if there is not somehow a hardware-problem alltime. There are several issues since i use this pc 2013 with this Win7:
- Since the beginning Speedfan never works on first start and freezes at loading. I need to hardkill the program. On 2nd time opening it works fine. I use HWMonitor now, but this is an issue I never heard from others
- I have a very old ACDSee32 Version on my computer and it always worked fine for me in Windows XP. In Windows 7 in worked fine for some month too.. until it started to work buggy. When I open a picture, it needs 5 seconds to open it. I moved then to another program Ifanview. But its strange. because it worked before and there were no changes
- Also I use the old program CoolEdit 2.0. This stopped workign correctly soem motnh ago and I coudl not records things anymore or save usefull soundfiles due different HZ. A reinstall helped.. but mysterious.. I also havent changed anything there.
- Also I already tried to make backups of my steamgames, which are some. It told me that it needs 1,5 Hours. When it was near end it only took 4 minutes and a few seconds.. the datasize didnt changed anymore and every minute the time raised one second more.

Now I'm scared that maybe i have problems with mainboard or CPU.. or I don't know. Hard to find out.

Hi Bob,
looking back over your threads history it's probably more to do with your HDD than the CPU but we'll see.
For starters did you check the smart values i mentioned as well as the speedfan online hard drive diagnostic result?

Also have you checked recently on whether the HDD connections are sound?

I uploaded the fresh Smart Screenshots of the 3 HDDs. SSD = Windows and programs; 500GBHDD = Games and Downloads; 1TB HDD = Music, Pictures, free space (is new and from January 2015)

"Also have you checked recently on whether the HDD connections are sound?" <<-- This i didn't understand.

the 500GB HDD also has this text below:
ll the attributes of your hard disk are above the S.M.A.R.T. thresholds set by the manufacturer. This is good.

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (78) is below the normal range (90 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

NOTE : your hard disk Power Cycle Count attribute current value (98) is below the normal range (99 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was power cycled more times than the maximum number the average hard disk was. Power cycles put some stress on the hard disk mechanic. Sometimes power cycles can be caused by a loose hard disk power connector. Make sure it is properly fastened.

The overall fitness for this drive is 97%.
The overall performance for this drive is 90%.

the 1TB HDD has this:
NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (99) is below the normal range (100 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

The overall fitness for this drive is 90%.
The overall performance for this drive is 98%.

Attachments

• 1TB-HDD.jpg
    1TB-HDD.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 420
  • 500GB_HDD.jpg
    500GB_HDD.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 417
  • SSD120.jpg
    SSD120.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 422
I notice your SSD doesn't have the latest firmware although whether this part of your issue i'm unsure. Do you use the Magician software that Samsung makes for the Evo?

As for the others I didn't see anything that was terrible.. Just normal usage.

I do not use the Magican Software for Samsung, because I don't know why I should use it. I prefer using my system with the least programs needed. Also I am a bit afraid of a firmware update from a systemharddrive. I dont want to lose the system. Also I don't know how it works.

Edit: I also installed Samsung Magican 4.6 and it tells me: I have an actual firmware! Maybe u are talking about a firmwareupdate for another series of Samsung SSD?
Mine is the Samsung SSD 120 GB Series Basic (no EVO included in the name!)

Last edited:
The only trouble is Samsung recently found that on their Evo 840 drives that once data got to over a month old it became increasingly slow which is why your probably seeing the crawl.
The latest firmware updates the hardware so it constantly refreshes itself. All you need to do is download the Magician software from here:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html

When you install it make sure you right click the exe and run as administrator.

But as I edited: I downloaded the Magican Software 4,6 and opend it. It tells me I have the latest firmware.
Also very important. I have the normal Samsung 840 Series Basic from January 2013 - there is NO EVO in the name.

I am really confused alot. There are several problems and in a complete "picture" the result for me yet is: it could be everything. For example: WHY THE HELL SPEEDFAN CRASHES ON FIRST (!) STARTUP?
However. A friend will lend me a HDD.. I will install a new clean windows 7 with latest drivers on it and trying to get GTA 5 running on it. This is the program/game i can force a crash the most. Since it should not be a driver/hardware prefences (it works fine, if the crash would not be). The results will give more answers I hope, so I will post them when i tested that.

I feel really helpless, when I cannot locate a clear issue, that causes my computer to annoy me hard..

This sounds like a good idea and I look forward to your next posts.

Back