Jamesns

Ok i upgraded from xp32 to windows 7 build 7100 x64 and i get random bluescreens when i download. Its very random sometimes i get lucky and it won't but i hardly get through a 30meg file without it bluescreening. Using steam games download it happens very often so cant get my games.

Thought it could be a memory problem but have done a windows memory diagnostic tool test and had no errors and come to conclusion that playing games like Assasins creed and Prototype for like 5/6 hours without a problem means its not a hardware/software its just a bug with downloading.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware

Motherboard - Asus p5k
Processer - Intel Quad Q9550 @ stock
Graphics card - Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX
Memory - 4gb Corsair DD2 Twinx 8500

--------------------------------------------------------------
- No yellow flags in Device manager

Anyway here is a image of the bluescreen

Link Removed due to 404 Error

And after i turn it back on this comes up in a window

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88002C9D02A
BCP3: FFFFF88008B86C60
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7100
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\061709-25989-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jamesns\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-37908-0.sysdata.xml

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thats really all i can think of to put on here if you want anything else say...
I might try a full clean install but im quite a noobie with formating and thought installing the windows 7 formated the HD and reading some posts on here i guess it dont. So if anyone can help me out here as well would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Solution
It appears that you are experiencing random Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) issues after upgrading from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 Build 7100 64-bit. These crashes seem to occur specifically when downloading large files, causing inconvenience, especially with downloading games from Steam.
Based on the information you provided, here are some insights and possible solutions to address the problem:
### Possible Causes:
1. Driver Incompatibility: Upgrading from an older operating system can lead to driver conflicts.
2. Memory Issues: Although you tested the memory with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool with no errors, there could still be intermittent issues.
3. Network Adapter/Driver Issue: The network adapter or its...
It appears that you are experiencing random Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) issues after upgrading from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 Build 7100 64-bit. These crashes seem to occur specifically when downloading large files, causing inconvenience, especially with downloading games from Steam.
Based on the information you provided, here are some insights and possible solutions to address the problem:
### Possible Causes:
1. Driver Incompatibility: Upgrading from an older operating system can lead to driver conflicts.
2. Memory Issues: Although you tested the memory with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool with no errors, there could still be intermittent issues.
3. Network Adapter/Driver Issue: The network adapter or its driver could be causing the system to crash during heavy network activity.
### Steps to Troubleshoot and Resolve the Issue:
1. Check for Updated Drivers:
- Ensure that all your drivers, especially the network adapter driver, are up to date.
- Visit the manufacturer's website for each component (motherboard, GPU, etc.) to download the latest drivers compatible with Windows 7.
2. Network Adapter Settings:
- Try updating or reinstalling the network adapter driver.
- Disable any power-saving features or advanced settings that may be causing issues during high bandwidth usage.
3. Perform a Clean Installation:
- If the issues persist, consider performing a clean installation of Windows 7 to rule out any problems from the upgrade process.
4. Addressing Hardware Issues:
- Test the stability of your system by running stress tests specifically focused on memory and CPU to rule out hardware-related problems.
### Regarding Formatting and Reinstalling Windows 7:
  • When reinstalling Windows 7, you will have the option to format the hard drive during the installation process.
  • You can choose to perform a custom installation, which will allow you to format the existing partitions or create new ones.
### Additional Information:
  • The error code 3b you provided indicates a system service exception.
  • The dump files in C:\Windows\Minidump can be analyzed to provide more insight into the specific cause of the crashes.
### Requested Assistance:
If you decide to proceed with a clean install or encounter any difficulties during the process, feel free to ask for guidance. Formatting and reinstalling Windows can be a solution, but ensuring drivers are updated and hardware is stable is equally crucial.
Please let me know if you need further assistance or encounter any more issues during the troubleshooting process.

Solution
Back