Windows 10 Bluetooth does not work anymore on Windows 10

CryoWolf0

Hello,

After I formatted Windows 10 a few months ago Bluetooth devices no longer work on my computer. Whenever I try to add a Bluetooth device (in Settings -> Bluetooth and other devices -> Add a device), the following window which is supposed to show discoverable devices, does not show any available devices, no matter how long I wait, the window simply remains the same. I know it is not a problem with the device itself, for I have successfully been able to connect it to another Windows 10 computer and Android phones and it works fine.
bt.png

I have tried the following: (1) enabling the option "allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" in Bluetooth settings; (2) uninstalling and installing bluetooth drivers automatically (all drivers were already up to date); (3) uninstalling and installing bluetooth drivers by downloading the latest driver from the manufactuer's website. None of these solutions worked.

My current windows 10 version is: Windows 10 pro, version 1909.

Any help is appreciated.

Hm, if you did a format did you remember to install all the drivers that pertain to your machine? For example, I have an ASUS laptop and whenever I've done a format (which sometimes is nice too) I always make sure to grab the latest drivers for the specific model of my laptop at the ASUS website.

After I'm completely done updating Windows updates. NOT installing anything else, I'll install those specific ASUS drivers. I've had Bluetooth issues just like yours after a format and it was because I didn't install the ASUS drivers. After installing the drivers one at a time, restarting, updating, I'll move onto the next driver.

I don't know if this is the best method but it's worked for me. Because I was able to figure out what drivers/parts were messing things up, stop, research it on a tablet/my phone, get the fix, then move onto the next driver. And after that long arduous process, I'll install my 3rd party software.

Hope this helps, let us know the outcome.

Does the device show up in device manager and with out any yellow or red marks over the device?
Is there a hardware switch for it or key combo to enable/disable bluetooth?

Hm, if you did a format did you remember to install all the drivers that pertain to your machine? For example, I have an ASUS laptop and whenever I've done a format (which sometimes is nice too) I always make sure to grab the latest drivers for the specific model of my laptop at the ASUS website.

After I'm completely done updating Windows updates. NOT installing anything else, I'll install those specific ASUS drivers. I've had Bluetooth issues just like yours after a format and it was because I didn't install the ASUS drivers. After installing the drivers one at a time, restarting, updating, I'll move onto the next driver.

I don't know if this is the best method but it's worked for me. Because I was able to figure out what drivers/parts were messing things up, stop, research it on a tablet/my phone, get the fix, then move onto the next driver. And after that long arduous process, I'll install my 3rd party software.

Hope this helps, let us know the outcome.
I did not do that when I formatted my PC. Today I tried your method of installing drivers by the PC's manufacturer (in my case SAMSUNG), so I installed "Samsung Update Guide", inserted my laptop's model and downloaded all drivers. When I try to install the Bluetooth driver (after uninstalling all other BT drivers in device manager), I get the following error message: "The existed ProductVersion is higher than your ProductVersion. Installation quit."

Does the device show up in device manager and with out any yellow or red marks over the device?
Is there a hardware switch for it or key combo to enable/disable bluetooth?
The device does not show up in device manager (I was never able to pair it with my computer again after formatting).
In order for me to turn on/off the device, I have to press the on/off button for a few seconds, then the LED lights up with a white color. When the device is trying to pair with another one the LED flashes blue for a while until it stops trying to pair (this will happen when trying to pair with my PC since it won't show up as a discoverable device, however it instantly shows up on my phone, and I can pair with it just fine).

It should show up under Bluetooth in device manager but not necessarily Network devices, since many Bluetooth chips are integrated into the NIC.

@CryoWolf0 ok so I have something similar happen. I installed older official Bluetooth drivers, versus the newest ones. And maybe check what Windows versions go with what Bluetooth drivers, I know that might sound weird maybe you just need to get a working driver installed and then Windows update can take it from there.

I hope that helps. Let us know.

Make sure Bluetooth is enabled.
Turn Bluetooth on and off again.
Move the Bluetooth device closer to your Windows 10 computer.
Confirm that your device supports Bluetooth. While Bluetooth is very common with smart devices, it's not used by everything.
urn your Bluetooth device on. A Bluetooth device needs to be powered on to connect to a Windows 10 computer.
Restart your Windows 10 computer.
Check for a Windows 10 update. Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates.
Run the Windows 10 Bluetooth troubleshooter.
Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Bluetooth.
Remove the Bluetooth device and re-add it. Open the Windows 10 Start Menu and click Settings and then Devices. Locate your Bluetooth device from the list of connected devices and click its name and then click Remove device. Restart your computer and then try to pair the device a new. This process can often correct any problems that were associated with the initial Bluetooth pairing.

When a feature on a Windows computer stops working, you can check for updates. Bluetooth adapters, like most components, require software to operate, and recent Windows 10 updates have been known to break system drivers and features.
You can manually or automatically update drivers. The manual process can be time-consuming, but it will get the job done. Determine which Bluetooth device is connected to your system (from the Device Manager). Then, on the official website, look up the device’s name and update the drivers.
Alternatively, you can use a third-party app to download any missing drivers to your device automatically. These are often paid services. However, if you decide to use third-party apps, proceed with caution. Some applications have a higher chance of installing the incorrect driver. Before using the software to upgrade your system modules, make a backup of your system drivers (at the very least).
Restart your computer after downloading the drivers (one way or another) and try turning on Bluetooth again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom