Windows 7 Broadcom bluetooth driver wont install? Update? I dunno?

MyNameIsMUD

Ok first off let me say I'm brand new to this forum. I don't even know if this thread is in the right section. I tried to place it correctly, but if I goofed? Please forgive me & move it to the appropriate section. I've had a problem w/ my bluetooth adapter for 3 months now! Let me elaborate a little bit on my odyssey. First off when I got this computer I paired my DroidX phone with it via bluetooth. Everything was wonderful then, it was a very happy marriage. It streamed music from the ph through the laptop speakers & transferred files back & forth. It was wonderful, unfortunately I uninstalled it one day & it hasn't worked correctly since.

Here's what I know. Originally it worked fine, after the uninstall/reinstall it can pair w/ my phone & transfer files fine. But music streaming is out. I tried to select the "options" in the bluetooth driver properties, but it tells me the parameter is incorrect. So I started researching this stuff & here's what I think I know.

My broadcom driver is currently 6.5.0.131 which seems to be up to date. However I tried to run a program I got from broadcom which is SetupBtwDownloadSE.exe but it fails everytime. It tells me it can't detect my bluetooth device, which I just don't understand as I have it paired w/ the comp & everything. From what I've found several people suggested turning off the Avast! virus checker (and those people said that fixed their issues). Well when I turn off my virus checker it doesn't do diddley, & the SetupBtw thing from Broadcom still won't run properly. Here's the info I got from my event viewer about it....

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 1/19/2012 1:08:50 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Station2
Description:
Faulting application name: BtwDownload.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4a2750eb
Faulting module name: BtwDownload.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4a2750eb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00016f86
Faulting process id: 0xbac
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccd6ddacf0e7d5
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\WebDownload\32\BtwDownload.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\WebDownload\32\BtwDownload.exe
Report Id: 04c991a9-42d1-11e1-bd95-000607146664
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-19T19:08:50.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>256079</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Station2</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>BtwDownload.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
<Data>4a2750eb</Data>
<Data>BtwDownload.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
<Data>4a2750eb</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00016f86</Data>
<Data>bac</Data>
<Data>01ccd6ddacf0e7d5</Data>
<Data>C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\WebDownload\32\BtwDownload.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\WebDownload\32\BtwDownload.exe</Data>
<Data>04c991a9-42d1-11e1-bd95-000607146664</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I've completely run out of ideas, & am at a loss. Which is why I finally broke down, joined the forum, ran up the white flag, in a desperate cry for help. I don't know where the problem lies at this point, but I'm fairly certain its my broadcom bluetooth adapter software (I hope)! This computer isn't a yr old, & the laptop came new with the bluetooth adapter preinstalled. Help me all ye wise computer users....you're my only hope!

Have you checked the HP site for your system? I see Broadcom Drivers, Atheros Drivers, and one Software package to support Bluetooth. If you are certain you have a Broadcom device, which ones are you using?

Have you checked the HP site for your system? I see Broadcom Drivers, Atheros Drivers, and one Software package to support Bluetooth. If you are certain you have a Broadcom device, which ones are you using?

Hey man thx for responding! You know now that you mention it? It never crossed my mind to check the HP site. I think of the maker of the computer separately from the stuff in it (a bad habit from building ones myself I suppose). But you're right this laptop has a bunch of additional HP software installed on it, so it might prove useful to check out their site as well.

Here's what I can tell you of the stuff that I know about. Looking at my device manager, I see two devices under "Bluetooth Radios." First one is the Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth one that I've been talking about. Under the Properties of that one it says the Driver Details are 6.5.0.131 for the device. The second one is the Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator under the Bluetooth Radios. Its driver version is 6.1.7601.17607 for what that's worth.

One thing I can add to what I posted originally. When I check my bluetooth device (i,e, my ph) in the device manager, it shows that it's connected. However when I check the properties of this device, it doesn't say anything like "Broadcom driver" or Microsoft for it. Everything I've read tells me that it's using generic bluetooth drivers to do this that came w/ windows (uhm I'm guessing?). Anyway because of the generic aspect of these drivers, it won't allow me to enable the laptops speakers to be used for streaming. Even though the stupid thing did that three months ago b4 I screwed it up! As I said b4 i'm just at a total loss. I'll check out that HP site when I get home. That's a good suggestion, & worth exploring! :cool:

Here's the latest results from when I talked w/ HP....
HP says:
I understand music does not stream from the phone to the notebook using Bluetooth, correct?
MyNameIsMUD says:
it worked fine for months. Now it hasnt worked in the last 3 months
HP says:
May I know the player that is used on the notebook to play music?
MyNameIsMUD says:
oh let me back up. I would play the music on the phone sorry. I used the player on the ph & it would play through the pc speakers via the bluetooth. A little remote player would pop up on the computer screen to control the ph. I believe it was the Droidx remote player. I cant say exactly since it no longer works I can't pull up the remote info.
HP says:
Okay. Have you checked if that particular player is available in the Programs on the notebook?
MyNameIsMUD says:
Theres not any player in the programs list. Doing a search on the hard drive only came up with the droidx itself from my device manager.
HP says:
it seems an issue with the player. You will need to re-install the Droidx player from the phone website.
MyNameIsMUD says:
Well the only thing is that no audio streams. Its not just music.I previously could answer a call through the pc etc. None of that works now. So would all of that be related to the player?
HP says:
Yes, it works through the software of the phone that is on the notebook. If it is a limited period software, it would have expired which is why it does not work.
MyNameIsMUD says:
Here's what I can tell you. Originally I could do it all. Then one day I had a problem trandering a file from ph to pc. So I just unpaired the bluetooth device. When I repaired the pc & ph it transfered files just fine. But the music hasnt worked since. so it wasnt a matter of it expiring (I dont think), it happened when I unpaired it. Thats when everything changed 3 months ago. Since that happened I've tried duplicating what I did to no avail. So you think that's all related to the player?
HP says:
Yes. It is an issue with the player which you need to re-install from the phone website or the software disc that was shipped with the phone.
MyNameIsMUD says:
Thx. I'll look at the manufacturers website & go from there.
Ok well call me crazy, but that didn't seem very productive. It seemed like they were just passing the buck. BUT I will admit that IF I KNEW what I was doing? Then my name wouldn't be MUD, & I would be listening to music stream from my ph to my computer. :tongue: So I'll concede the possibility that it is in fact the player from the phone (although I never installed any software originally to get it to stream music. It just did naturally when I paired it. Gee isn't it nice when things WORK the way they're supposed to??? Anyway I'll check out the Droidx website (although I've done that previously to no avail), and see if there's something I've missed. So far the odyssey continues.

Back