Windows 7 BSOD before login screen

Casslyn Hansen

So basically my computer was working perfectly fine, nothing wrong, up till one point when my IPv4 network just turned itself off from time to time, but it still worked fine. But today when I started up my computer, I got a BSOD at the login screen while I was typing in my password. It just said that it encountered an unexpected error and had to stop Windows. I allowed it to restart, and again the same thing happened, and it kept happening until I got annoyed and switched to Safe Mode. Strangely enough, it worked perfectly fine in both Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. However, when I tried accessing Safe Mode with Networking, the same thing happened again. Help please? I'm unabled to get you guys more information yet, just ask and I'll try, but for now I need some solutions. Is it something to do with the network drivers? :confused:

Is the network device you normally use removable? (can you take it out of the computer?) try that, if not try at least unplugging the cable (if its not wireless), does this help at all?
If not, try booting into normal safemode and perform a driver roll back, or uninstallation on the netwrok card (make sure you have drivers first, to reinstall it!).

Also have you recently installed or updated any Antivirus/Firewall products?.. they may also be the culprit.

If nothing else make sure your system properties are set to write a dump file (small dump ok), and use a USB thumb drive to copy the dump files from your Windows\Minidump folder to the flash drive, and submit them to the BSOD forum section.

I'm not saying this is your problem but...
There's a rootkit that's been doing the rounds since christmas that will slowly "close down" access to various parts of your PC until you cannot use anything. To be on the safe side, download/transfer to your PC, TDSSKiller and run it in Safe Mode to rule out this prevalent RootKit.

Casslyn Hansen:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm thinking much along the same lines as Elmer on this one, so if Josephur's excellent advise doesn't help, then I would follow-up with Elmer's link to check for that specific piece of malware and then I would suggest following that up with additional scans, also in safe mode with the following two products.
Spyboot Search and Destroy download the program (you may need to download the most recent detection updates from there as well if your network is still not working) install and run.
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
And if you are still having problems you may need to resort to something slightly more robust
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 the link includes the download ISO which you will need to burn to a CD, boot from the Rescue Disk with your computer connected to your network and use the update utility from within the interface to obtain the latest product signatures. There is also a PDF (user guide) at that link to help you understand the interface.
Best wishes and keep us posted.
Randy

EDIT: One additional scanner which you may find useful and many have recommended for similar issues (prior to resorting to Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10). SuperAntiSpyware Portable Edition

Last edited:
Ok, let me try too.

it worked perfectly fine in both Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. However, when I tried accessing Safe Mode with Networking, the same thing happened again.

Fine in safe mode without networking. The network device could be broken or its driver incompatible with windows 7. To try to understand your crashes better, it is worth taking look at your recent crash files located at C:\Windows\Minidump. Zip and attach them.

Back